Dieffenbachia

Hi all,
I bought a dieffenbachia compacta some 6 or 7 weeks ago and have watered it about once a week ever since, and 2 times with fertilizer (every 3 weeks).
Lately I have noticed that the bottom leaves turn yellow too quickly and that some of the bottom to middle leaves have yellowish tips.
The plant sits next to a door and a heater and it doesn't have direct sunlight.
Anybody knows what's wrong with it?
Thanks, Max
My conclusion after having a few dieffenbachias myself is that your problem is caused by overwatering. I don't know how much water you are giving but they do fine on very little water.
Andrew

Cut back on the water, water when almost all dry.
In the winter cut back to once a month for fertilizer.
Get it away from the door and heater.
--
PCs, like air-conditioners, are useless when you open Windows.

Thanks for the tips.
Would it help if I put it under a slanting window where it doesn't get direct sunlight?
Max

Early morning or late afternoon sun is fine. Bright light the rest of the day. The more light the better the varigation on the leaves is.
--
Chris: "Dad, what's a blowhole for?"
Peter: "I'll tell you what it's NOT for and then you'll know why I can