Deer & Apple Trees?!

What should I do to keep the deer and other animals from eating my newly planted apple trees. The trees are only about 4' and very small. We live in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan and on a ravine that gets quite alot of deer traffic. I saw some plastic mesh at the store that the guy said keeps deer away.. ...a "deer repelling mesh that you drape over the tree." Or, should I put a fence around the tree? How high and what diameter do you suggest. How big does the tree have to be before I don't need to worry? Many thanks, Joy

Reply to
Joy Hardie

Anything should work. Small trees are often killed by rabbits in the winter, chewing their bark, so you should wrap. I don't think deer normally eat apple leaves but if hungry will eat anything growing. A mature buck can kill a large tree, maybe diameter up to 6 inches, with antler rubs. Small fence would work best. Deer love apples, so you will have to fight them for the harvest. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Hi Joy, I also live in Mi. north of Detroit on 20, mostly wooded acres and have many, many deer. When I plant any kind of new tree I put rabbit fence around it and also on top of it. I also put a little extra birdfeed on the ground under my bird feeders so the deer will have easily ready food. I still see them eating some leaves off trees but not any of my special ones. I also have a 7' fence around my veggie garden. Good Luck, Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Reply to
SAS567