daylily maintenence quandry

We live in mid NY and typically only the common fulva and flava turn brown after flowering, so I cut them down to the ground and they resprout for the fall.

This year we had a very dry spell with no rain for five weeks and even with hand watering, the hybrids ie stella, ice carnival, etc turned partly brown and slumped flat to the ground ...I had removed all flower stems as each is finished during the season.

With cooler weather and some rain, I then propped them up and numerous new shoots are forming at the bases. Is it adviseable to pluck off the brown or yellowing leave shafts to stimulate the new growth? ..will this enhance or inhibit the reblooming varieties?

Is it better to cut flat to the ground next time in mid summer after blooming is finished as I do with the orange ditchlily or is that old growth needed for reblooming species?

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

Reply to
scorman

My common daylilies evaporated this summer. The are just starting to come back now. The stellas held-up a little better and are now starting to bloom again. I would leave them all alone, removing yellow and brown foliage to make them tidy. I wouldn't cut them down as a preventive measure because I think you will sacrifice blooms.

Reply to
Vox Humana