Day Lily Question

Does anyone have any experience growing day lilies in plastic pots? I have two large plastic whiskey barrels that I would like to plant day lilies in and put in the front yard. I'm wondering what would be the best soil to put in the pots. They would be in an area where I've grown day lilies before but cannot now plant directly in the ground.
Shell

Compost, or potting soil, or a mix.
Day lillies aren't too fussy.
Every few years you'll have to divide them -- I wait until the whole surface of the soil in the pot is covered with stalks -- when that happens I make a mental note to divide them after the growing season.
Thanks for the information. I've got plenty of potting soil
Shell
wrote:

have
in
put
I have 3 plants in a 5gal plastic bucket, I drilled holes in the bottom and filled it with potting soil and steer manure combo, they've lived in it for 2 years now and this year put out a mess of bloom stalks. I live in the High Mojave Desert too.
--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062:odyssey three

in
before
Weeble wrote:

For a do-it-yourself potting mix, see my <http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html .
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

have
in
put
before
How about potting them up with potting soil?!!!!!
Sure you can grow them in pots.
That's exactly what many commercial dealers do!!!!

have
put