Day Lily Question

Does anyone have any experience growing day lilies in plastic pots? I have two large plastic whiskey barrels that I would like to plant day lilies in and put in the front yard. I'm wondering what would be the best soil to put in the pots. They would be in an area where I've grown day lilies before but cannot now plant directly in the ground.

Shell

Reply to
Weeble

Compost, or potting soil, or a mix.

Day lillies aren't too fussy.

Every few years you'll have to divide them -- I wait until the whole surface of the soil in the pot is covered with stalks -- when that happens I make a mental note to divide them after the growing season.

Reply to
Paul Below

I have 3 plants in a 5gal plastic bucket, I drilled holes in the bottom and filled it with potting soil and steer manure combo, they've lived in it for

2 years now and this year put out a mess of bloom stalks. I live in the High Mojave Desert too.
Reply to
starlord

For a do-it-yourself potting mix, see my .

Reply to
David Ross

Thanks for the information. I've got plenty of potting soil

Shell

Reply to
Weeble

Cool. I bought these plastic whiskey barrels that look like the rea thing (only without the splinters and dirt) Should look really nice with the seedlings I just ordered.

Shell

Reply to
Weeble

Thanks for the information. I will need to see about trying your potting mix, it sounds like it would be just about perfect here

Shell

Reply to
Weeble

How about potting them up with potting soil?!!!!!

Sure you can grow them in pots.

That's exactly what many commercial dealers do!!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus