Cypress tree question

I just had some cypress trees dry out and die on my property. I was told it was a root fungus, but who knows, because two other arborists told me something completely different.
But I got to thinking, these particular trees I once had to water by hand since the sprinklers weren't working for a while. And when I was watering them, it wasn't just at the base, I was also spraying water up into the tree itself, into the bark, etc.
Could it be that this somehow washed away a protective coating or something that caused them to die?

Oh dear.

Undoubtedly. Back in the old times, trees' protective coating aka "bark" could stand up to any amount of rain without getting washed off, but these days God knows who is responsible for applying it..some bunch of monkeys, probably.
Janet

Oh dear, Janet, We are being naughty today, aren't We?? LOL Emilie

Don't remember that episode.

Ah, a senior moment, undoubtedly. Wish I had thought of it. We do not have garden monkeys.........a shame. Emilie

Not a huge fan, but they were a major influence on the beatles.

Hey, hey we're the Monkees............. I don't remember that they did too many Garden Gigs, but maybe they moonlighted applying defective bark.
re: your question: I don't think anyone asked what kind of Cypress or what location ? How old?
Emilie
Most of your problem may have been troubles in the rhizosphere. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html
--
Many tree problems are associated with the following:

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
The Space Boss wrote:

here in Louisiana grow along water courses and get beaucoup water all year around. I would expect that they didn't get enough water where they were.
George