Cucumber beetles, help

My wife went out to garden today and found my largest pumpkin plant decimated by these little black and white striped beetles, maybe 1/8" in size. I think they are cucumber beetles. She sprayed them with some chemical general purpose veggie and fruit tree insecticide. Is there a better way to take care of these? What is a recommend way to keep them from damaging plants?

Reply to
Zootal

We've fought this (and other) battles for years. It's a "no win" situation. Last year, we finally gave up and started using the chemicals. Life is now much better.

Reply to
Sgt.Sausage

The chemicals worked better then, say, pyrethrum (sp) or rotenone? I've not tried them, but one dose of chemicals, and there are a bunch of dead beetles, and my pumpkins and squash just might make it. I don't like the pesticides because I don't know what effect they might have on the plants and ultimately us humans.

Reply to
Matthew Reed