Common Problems for Trees

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case Sensitive.
Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/T/tree_planting.html
Improper Mulching - http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html
Improper Pruning http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning
Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry) http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html
Tree Farming and Related Problems http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND /
Troubles in the Rhizosphere http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html
Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Tree Biologist www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

I'm using "mulch" to help the soil retain water/moisture content. The link you provided for mulch is somewhat different in that regard.
Specifics: 2 pecan (different species) saplings. Planted in what is primarily caliche and fractured limestone. Alfalfa hay spread in a 2' radius around saplings, approximately 4" deep, matted thickly together.
Long-term weather conditions: exceptional drought, no rain to speak of for many months, 100F plus temp highs for almost 2 months now for 50% of the time.
Goal: acclimatize the trees to the rough soil conditions, and, add and help maintain adequate soil moisture. Some leaves were showing signs of lack of water, so, I add 5 gallons each sapling per 2 weeks. They have improved since I started doing things this way.
Maybe the hurricane will bless use with some rain, Jang?
--
Dave