Coffee grounds as a growing bed

Something for people to try, using coffee grounds as a growing medium.

The earth out the front of my place, along the sidewalk is rubbish. Very dry and powdery. It had all manner of weeds and crap grasses in it that kept seeding in to my lawn. Late summer I knocked it all back and mulches across it with used coffee grounds to add (free) organic matters. About 2 months later I have seeded grass in to it after a good raking. The grass is doing very nicely.

I am seeing whether mustard seed will now grow in a bed of used coffee grounds.

Reply to
George.com

We have been using our coffee grounds in flower and veggie beds for several years now with good results. We have nasty smelling clay soil(My agronomist father would shudder to hear it called soil) to which we constantly add compost and peat, and bagged cow manure. Most of them are coming around to useable soil, a couple are still terribly hard and dry very quickly. This was virgin woods when we bought it 18 years ago so we lime,lime,lime twice a year. But we wouldn't trade our woods and the birds we feed for alkaline soil!!

Reply to
Nanzi