coconuts

Not true as far as soaking in salt water... the wife's sister has coconut trees at her home in S Fl and there were a several of the coconuts on the ground that had sprouted. Now whether that is because more salt is in the ground itself that allows them to sprout I don't know.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

I once heard coconut seeds need to soak in salt water for a while before they would germinate. Is this true or not? Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

A really ripe coconut will germinate very easily anywhere. I have heard of people soaking older ones in water for a week or so to jump start them, but salt is not necessary. They are very tolerant of salt but do not require it.

Reply to
Cearbhaill

Hi, Not so. They can soak in salt water and still sprout but it is not required. The way to do it bury the nut, petiole end up, half way in soil keep barely moist and get out of the way. I have many that sprout where they fall and are then re-potted. In the "old" days when the nuts were planted on their sides, some growers soaked them in water to determine what side was "up". HTH -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

The coconut IS the seed itself and it needs the stuff inside it to grow on. When I lived in Hawaii I used to use the nut and start new trees with them and then go out and plant to for people.

Reply to
Starlord