coconuts

I once heard coconut seeds need to soak in salt water for a while before they would germinate. Is this true or not? Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

coconut trees at her home in S Fl and there were a several of the coconuts on the ground that had sprouted. Now whether that is because more salt is in the ground itself that allows them to sprout I don't know.
Lar

A really ripe coconut will germinate very easily anywhere. I have heard of people soaking older ones in water for a week or so to jump start them, but salt is not necessary. They are very tolerant of salt but do not require it.
--
Toni
South Florida USA

The coconut IS the seed itself and it needs the stuff inside it to grow on. When I lived in Hawaii I used to use the nut and start new trees with them and then go out and plant to for people.
--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the