Clematis

Greetings all:

Being a rather new homeowner, I'm sort of a beginner to the gardening thing.

I recently found a good deal on some Clematis roots at my local Costco, and bought several packages. When I looked at them, each were packed in a bag of dirt which was quite dry, and several were sprouting greenery. I was told that as they were drying out so much, it would be a good idea to pot them when I got them home, and give them some moisture.

So I did that, and they're growing quite happily in my basement window, waiting for spring. They've been there for three weeks, and it's going to be at least another month before the ground is defrosted enough to plant them (I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, zone 5a-b).

My question is - was it a mistake to pot them? Should I have just left them alone and planted them in the ground outside when it gets warmer? They're in peat pots, so I plan to just stick them pot and all into the ground when the weather permits. I'm hoping they will survive the transition!

Thanks!

KD

Reply to
KD

[...]