Chicory

I would love some Chicory in a few areas around my house but I just can't seem to get it to grow? It grows like weeds along the side of just about any road yet I just can't get it to grow here.

I have collected seeds from many others and did everything from sprinkling them at the same time they would normally be dropping, tried in early fall, early winter, early spring, and all those times have tried everything from sprinkling them around, to slightly sowing them in, and also lightly watering them. I'm certain that I have probably spread 1000 seeds over the years. I never tried digging them up and transplanting because I've heard that is very difficult. I even had some semi rare in nature, white ones but of course they didn't grow either.

Why the %@&*#%$T can't I grow what most people call weeds? Maybe I should drive over them and spray salt on them in the winter like along side the roads?

I have not tried buying seeds just because they always seem so plentiful along the road. Would I have better luck with mail order seeds? I'm not great at starting seeds indoors but if that's the only way I'll try.

I'm in East TN northern tip of English Mountain. Zone 5 or 6 or 7 depending on what map and method used. But I also had the same problem trying to grow it up in PA zone 5 or 6.

My first goal is to get any kind to grow because I like it's looks, then I may like to get different varieties with leaves that are good in salad or roots to make chicory coffee from.

Reply to
Tony

This PDF suggest Mediterranean clime.

is a place to start.

Bill who putters

um, wow! :)

we grow a patch of them here for the flowers, this year the bunnies have been eating it. it is invasive! i have yet to try harvesting and roasting.

we dug a few roots from along the road. don't worry about what people say, if you dig it up and get enough of the root it'll take. probably would help to start with a smaller plant (i.e. one that hasn't been mown too many times :) ) so you are getting more of the root.

water it in good after you transplant it and make sure it gets watered every day or every other day until it looks like it's trying to put out some new growth.

are you putting it in sandy soil where it gets plenty of light? roads are set up for good drainage...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Piqued my interest as I'm trying to fill in a denuded area with perennials but I see chicory is recommended for deer feeding plots. That's my problem. Ivy, hostas, even horseradish, won't grow in my yard.

Reply to
Frank