Camellia in bloom now?

Hi all -- I have a camellia in my southern-facing front yard which has just begun to bloom. In the three years since I planted the bush, it's never had flowers on it this early in the season-- it's always started blooming in December or early January and the blooms have ended up dying on the bush because we've had a bad frost or a snowstorm right as they begin to open. I'm in Alexandria, VA, USDA Zone 7; is this usual? I'm glad it's blooming now because I'll actually be able to appreciate the flowers, just I'm just surprised. Has anyone else had this experience?
Rhonda Alexandria, VA Zone 7
********* Each of us, a cell of awareness imperfect and incomplete Genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortune-hunt that's far too fleet
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:15:50 GMT, "Natty_Dread"

Whether or not it is unusual I can't say, but I can say that we had the same thing happen here in the front yard -- full sun -- in August. (In Georgia.)
FACE
Natty_Dread wrote:

Strange things happen. Right now, I have several spring-flowering plants in bloom: azaleas, raphiolepis, etc. My dwarf kumquat, which usually has two bloom periods -- one in mid-summer and one about 4-6 weeks later -- is in bloom now.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

I've more rhody reblooms this season than in most years -- just the occasional flower here & there except for "Lee's Best Purple" which blooms fully twice a year almost every year.
But the camellia season is starting for me right now. I have mainly camelleas of the "sasanqua" type & they bloom in the main from October through January.
-paghat the ratgirl
----- "I wanted to be a Walt Disney villain when I was a child." -John Waters
Natty_Dread wrote:

And, of course, Camellia sasanqua is blooming now.
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)