Caladiums in ground

I'm in the D/FW area (sunset 33? 8b?) will caladiums overwinter here in the ground? Will they look OK next year? I find conflicting info on the net, it seems many folks pull the bulbs/rhizomes whatever and overwinter in show boxes, other folks say they never look as good either way and to just get new ones to plant when the ground warms up.
I'd just like to know what to expect - I doubt I will go to the trouble to pull the bulbs up as they are in very 'root-y' areas and were hard to plant anyway. I could mulch over them if that would help.
any experience with this?
tia
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

I treat them as annuals here. A bit pricey but white in heavy shade is a wonderful contrast. I have tried to store them over winter in my basement. Had a few weak survivors hence I consider them wonderful annuals.
Zone 8 perhaps a heavy mulch?
Good luck!!
Bill
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
A friend discovered a very unconventional storage method that worked for him and it has worked for me. Instead of storing them in a cool place, I store them in a warm place. I dig up the caladiums and put them in a box with vermiculite. Then I put them on the furnace. (Not as warm as it sounds). They stay dry. I suspect that dampness is the biggest problem with over-wintering them indoors. I then re-plant them when the temperatures reach above 60 degrees. They've been coming back for a number of years this way. _________________ John Henry Wheeler Washington, DC USDA Zone 7

Thanks I'll give it a try! My tubers seemed to be rotting in character bt early spring. I covered them in sulfur and vermiculite. I'll give DRY and warm a go!
Bill
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.not says... :) I'm in the D/FW area (sunset 33? 8b?) will caladiums overwinter here in :) the ground? Will they look OK next year? I find conflicting info on the :) net, it seems many folks pull the bulbs/rhizomes whatever and overwinter :) in show boxes, other folks say they never look as good either way and to :) just get new ones to plant when the ground warms up. :) :) I'd just like to know what to expect - I doubt I will go to the trouble :) to pull the bulbs up as they are in very 'root-y' areas and were hard to :) plant anyway. I could mulch over them if that would help. :) :) any experience with this? :) :) tia :) :) Carl :) :) Some plants will come back up but not as showy/thick.

Commercial caladium growers grow their bulbs in full sun in Florida. The leaves bleach and do not look good, but the bulbs grow large. I doubt that you can produce a large bulb by growing the plants in the shade.