Bulb care help

I received a pot of assorted bulbs from my son for Valentines. The label just says bulb assortment, so I don't know what I have totally. I know there is a variety of mini daffodils, mini irises and a couple of tulips. There are also a couple of other flowers I don't know. I would like to leave them in the pot. My question is how do I now care for these bulbs? Would letting them be until fall be too long before they go dormant (right now it is winter here - USDA 4/5)? What do I do with them then? I have never had any bulbs before, so I don't know what I'm doing.

Thank you in advance for any advise!

Reply to
Charlotte Hippen

Charlotte,

In order for the bulbs to bloom again they need to get plenty of light. Place the plant where it can get as much sunlight as possible and if the temperate stays above freezing during the day put them outside. Once the blooms are gone you will notice that the foliage slowly dies off. Continue to water the plant and let it get plenty of light until the foliage is yellow (or brown). By then it will likely be warm enough to plant the bulbs in the ground (the BEST place for them; DO NOT let them sit in the pot until fall). Plant them 6 to 8 inches deep and if some varmint doesn't eat them you should have flowers again next spring (2006).

Reply to
Bill R

Did n't hey come with instructions? Bulbs need a period of cold, not sure if the bulbs you got had that. I'd probably plant them in the ground (pointed end up) ASAP. Use a tablespoon of bonemeal mixed into the hole. Plant them at the proper height.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks Bill! I'll plant them this spring then.

Charlotte

Reply to
Charlotte Hippen

No, they really didn't. The instructions say "Most prefer indirect light. Mod. moist soil" Not much help. But with were they were purchased (dept. store) that is usually the case. I know that they need some sort of a period of cold for rest, but that was the extent of my knowledge. They are currently in a pot and are blooming. I think I'll do like Bill suggested and plan them outside when spring gets here. I'll use your advise and add bonemeal to the soil. Thanks.

Charlotte

Reply to
Charlotte Hippen

I don't know what tulip bulbs hybrids you have, but in Holland we normally plant tulips in October/November (preferably beginning of November), in half spring they will flower (April) and in June/July we dig them up out of the soil and store them dry, dark, and cool until late autumn. Tulips need to be replanted in fresh soil (or another spot for three years) because they using all the "food" out of the soil.

Cheers,

-- Storm

Reply to
Storm