Bougainvilla growing on roof? How?

I live in Phoenix and am thinking of planting Bougainvilla on the top of my lathed-roofed ramada (back yard sun shelter). It would be planted in pots and hopefully trained to trail down over the edges.
The roof slats are set about an inch apart.
I'm wondering about how to water these - and how to keep the water from dripping down onto the floor of the ramada.
Or is this a bad idea (trying to grow Bougainvilla in pots)?
Thanks for ideas or suggestions!
ron snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Why not grow them up?? They can get very heavy.

I could do that - watering via drip would probably be easier.
Is there a special variety that's good for trellising? How do I get them started on their upward growth?
ron snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Here (Puerto Rico) They sell small ones in hanging baskets. But the large ones grow VERY tall. I think I have one on my site....
http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/photos2/IM004480.JPG
The big pink thing is a Bvillea (aka Trinitaria)
http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/photos2/IM004478.JPG
http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/photos2/IM004479.JPG
This one is about 12 feet tall, not including the part hanging over the wall.
They seem to have no problem at all climbing, its that they do. They are woody and dont requite support but I suppose can be tied somehow to a trellis. I see them along fences here. But it seems that the structure would have to be quite strong. HTH a little Nina

growing everywhere on rooftops, bushes and flower pots and beds. Call them and ask for grounds maint and see if they have any ideas. I am buying a Bougainvilla this weekend and I live in Oklahoma zone 7. Let me know what they say ok? I am curious myself.
RhondaM

Bougainvillea roots hate standing in water. Learn to manage your watering ( I count as I water my pots)
http://www.houstongardening.info/bouginfo.htm
Thanks for the tip. I'm always amazed at how well Bougainvilla grow, seemingly unattended, along highways around Phoenix. The ones in my yard don't do nearly as well, and I've suspected for a long time that car exhaust gases :-) seems to have some kind of beneficial effect on the plants.
That said, I've tried years when I didn't water my ground-planted B's at all - and other years when I've been more aggressive - I personally haven't witnessed that "water-starved" B's do better (more flowers or brachts), but I've read it many, many places.
By the way, thanks for your very valuable hyperlink to your B site!!! Lots of interesting material I will digest there!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, i just loved that place! especially all the pools!
--
rosie
http://www.moveonpac.org ./