Bald Cypress questions

I planted a bald cypress about 2 months back. While it has gotten new growth, mainly on the top portion very llittle has grownon the lower portion. It seems to be more brown than green, and I have been told its a deciduous tree and it will loose all its needles. It is planted in about 12" of water. I have used the spike fertilizer things spaced around the tree approx 30 or so inches from the trunk as directions stated, but I would think this tree should be growing much better than it has so far if its healty.......which it appears to be anyhow. Its just that its so brown in a lot of areas. It was a 5 gal container tree, and would it be like this due to the fact of being transplanted. My pond soil and wate ris on the acid side as everything I read it ikes the 6.7 to 7.0 range of ph, which it is in.

Any suggestions appreciated on what I can do to green this tree out or promote its growth bit more would be appreciated.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Though they like water, alot, a baldcypress that has spent its entire life in a container with well drained soil and plenty of oxygen available to its roots may not enjoy being planed in 12 inches of water. Sometimes we forget that the plants growing in the middle of the swamp were started as seeds that grew and adapted to thier environment over a period of many years. Plants in the wild and plants in cultivation are two very different things that dont always behave the same way.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

I understand the difference in containerized and grown plants over those naturally planted by seed and growing, but around thjhis area there are a lot of bald or pond cypress trees planted in water on golf courses and some of the larger estates ponds that were container trees to begine with and some appear fine and others look like mine does...... The nursery where I bought mine also stated its not a problem planting them in a pond either, and they pointed out that their eintire water garden area which consists of quite a few ponds etc have cypress trees that were merely planted in burlap bags set on pine tree stumps from trees that were cut down to make the pond years ago, and are doing fine..... I would ask them the questions I have but there has been a large change over of personel there and most of the older more knowledgeable folks have retired. I did get some opinions and just want to get some more, and go with the majority on my issues of these trees and how they look. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

planted

transplanted.