Aucuba Japonica(Spotted Laurel) Dead Plants

Hope someone can help!?

Over the past two years, the Spotted Laurel in a large garden I've been working in have suffered almost total devastation with mass dying of the shrubs. I have been aware that the property next door is suffering from the same problem. The plants have started wilting first, then leaves blackening and dying, then subsequently the whole plant dies right down to the roots.

I have posted/uploaded some photos, ranging from a healthy looking tip to the inside of the dead trunk/stems showing the state left on the inside. Also a couple of the dying and dead foliage/stems.

There are other 'laurels'(Bay,Portuguese and English) as well as various regular shrubs and trees of other species which are totally unaffected.

Up to now, apart from asking anyone(gardeners/garden centre staff) whom I think might know the problem, I have cut out and burned all affected plants as they occur and now have very little left with no signs of it abaiting.

Thank you for any morcel of advice however small. The phots will either be linked on this post or on the Garden Photographs section under 'Dying Aucuba!!'

Terry

[image:
Terry Deans

experiencing could well be related to root rot. Whether this is from wet soil conditions or due to infestation by Phytophthora is difficult to say (partial waterlogging can, however, make Phytophthora infection more likely). If it was solely due to waterlogged soil I would expect other species of plants to be affected. Phytophthora, however, is a strange pathogen that can decimate certain species whilst leaving others unaffected, so my money would be on Phytophthora.

If it is Phytophthora there is really nothing that can be done, or is worth doing, to treat the Aucuba. Probably the best thing is to see what plants remain healthy, and put in more of those. I wouldn't bother trying to plant healthy Aucuba to replace those that have been lost.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

colour throughout the year. They are perfect shrubs for creating a formal evergreen hedge. Spotted Laurels grow at a rate of 1ft a year making it slightly slower-growing than the common Laurel. It should be trimmed to shape in late summer.

Position: Full sun, semi-shade

Planting Area: Fertile well-drained soil

Flowers: Spring

Hardiness: Hardy

Height x Spread: 180cmcm x 180cm (6ft)

How to care for your plant:

This plant is easy to maintain and look after. When you receive your new plant, soak in a bucket of water for 30 minutes and then plant to the same depth as the soil level in the pot. Water regularly until established. We recommend adding fertilizer when planting, ideal are bone meal or Fish Blood & Bone.

After flowering cut out all dead, diseased and unwanted growth and trim to desired shape and size.

Dispatch Information:

Orders are dispatched within 1-3 working days and should be delivered within 1-5 (working) days from the day of dispatch.

Reply to
allen73