Anyone here gather bamboo shoots?

It's common for running bamboo to overtake people's yards around here. Fairly easy to get free bamboo shoots by offering to harvest them.
I'll have to find another source since both my regular sources cleared their patch an applied chemical control.
After boiling, the shoots reminds me of artichoke hearts. I dip them in dressing and eat em..
Too bad you have to get them when they are only a few inches. Wait a couple days and they're few feet tall.
Ahhh! Free poke and bamboo shoot are some benefits of spring.

At a garden where I volunteer there is a huge, ancient and spreading patch of green bamboo, Once a year or so we have to forcibly restrain it. Even raw, the new young shoots are crunchily delicious. I love cooked bamboo shoots in Chinese food, so must get the loppers out again :-)
I have golden bamboo in my own garden, and a thin black-stemmed sort, but haven't tried eating those. Yet.
Janet.

You guys are making me hungry! We had a bamboo tree but it died :-(

Bamboo is not a tree it is in the grass family. http://www.bambooweb.info / http://bamboo.org /
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Yea, I get them at a supermarket. They come in cans.