Regards
Martin Double Bexrose - Webmaster
Email: snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com Web Site: http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose
----- Original Message ----- From: Hament Verma To: snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 1:06 PM Subject: RE : Straight cut pruning.
Hi,
Let me understand what you are trying to say here. Can you explain me in detail?
Nice meeting you.
Thanks,
Hemant Verma
*****************
Friends are for forever
From: Martin ( snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com) Subject: Answer to the straight cut pruning method - for the second time!
View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.roses Date: 2004-08-21 01:44:03 PST
PRUNING ROSES WITH HEDGETRIMMERS:British Trials Show It Produces More BloomsBy RNRS President, Ken Grapes
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:33:13 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"

No, there's a third choice - *you* missed the reply.

Well, a lot of that had to do with you and your sockpuppet, Franz.

Your original reply to my query was just a link to the pruning article on the site that many of us will be ignoring in the future. It wasn't a link to that "report". The "second time", as you put it, was actually the first time you posted anything other than a vague biased comment on the method.
BTW, who cares if you endorse it or not? Why are you the Rose Nazi about this? Do you have proof that it causes the problems that you claim? One would think that if it *was* such a bad technique, we could have heard some rebuttal to the decade-old tests? Apparently, from what I understand, they're still using this method. In fact, one of our most successful rose gardeners (who takes care of about 70 gardens for the time-pressed denizens of Nashville), uses a variation of this because he uses a chainsaw to do most of his pruning in the winter and then goes back in the spring to clean things up. Apparently it works for he and his clients <shrug>.
Do you even *grow* roses or are you a hired gun for the website?
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:14:34 +0000 (UTC), in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

Ahem, here is your "first response", in its entirety (with the advertising disabled): ------------------ You will find an article on pruning on the Be*se web site at:- http://home.btco.com/cadoss/bexrose
Regards
Martin Double Bexrose - Webmaster ------------------ Now, how is what I said wrong? The article on pruning *wasn't* the one about the method that I was asking about.
BTW, you never said whether you actually grow roses yourself. Have you ever opposite of the business end of a pair of shears? Either you or Franz can answer if you'd like. But if Franz answers, we'll have our answer, I suppose, because I'll bet that he claims to have 2,000 roses and prunes the Queen's garden in Windsor.

Or, more correctly stated, "Have you ever *been* opposite of the business end of a pair of shears", he anally corrected.
Web Site: http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose
Web Site: http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:02:01 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"

That was your *first* response to my query, *exactly* as you posted it, with a little alteration of your advertising only. *Later*, you said this:
"On the question of pruning straight across, I recall the Royal National Rose Society (foolishly) advocate this method on one occasion, but they have since rescinded that advice. The method did not choose any particular line to cut to for individual stems, it was more a case of "hedge cutting with a hedge trimmer or lawn shears". This method might appear to work to start with on vigorous bushes but die back will be extensive which will eventually weaken and/or make the rose look unsightly".
No reference to the article that you *eventually* posted as "the second time" that you had posted it. Also, the article that you posted claimed that the dieback wasn't as bad as you claimed, and this was confirmed by another poster, nor have you offered any credible rebuttal to the article that you yourself posted.

No thanks. But thanks for your comfirmation that you aren't just a needy website developer.

Ohhhh, I think it's obvious that I don't move in "rose circles".

Now this is just obsfucation. I am only commenting on *your* postings on the roses newsgroup.

Others have commented as well. I have posted headers from both of you which clearly indicate that Franz is your sockpuppet (or the other way around). And the only response has been, "you're wrong". I think that people can decide for themselves.

I did comment on how many roses you might claim to grow, actually. <chuckle>

You are, as you invariably are, quite wrong. I live about 300 miles from Windsor. I have approximately 2 dozen roses. I prune them all very lightly, as I don't see why I should, on a annual basis, throw away all the good work the roses have done the previous season. They are now all quite large shrubs, and are repaying my restraint by being very floriferous. You should try to learn something about roses, assuming that you do have the neurons to cope with studying..
Franz
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:13:58 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"

Thanks for the input, Mr. Double.
BTW, I've only got you beat by about half-a-dozen roses.

It was unnecessary for you to insert that line. We already know that you are invariably wrong.
[snip]
Franz
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 06:30:39 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"

See? <chortle>
If you weren't so obvious in your attempts to build your sockpuppet, it might even be funny. Just a quick question though - isn't it difficult to grow roses in the North Sea?

It would appear that you are one of those must-have -the-last-liners. Please have it.
Franz
Franz Heymann wrote:

You provincial louts are so damned touchy. My mistake-- I was the one who noticed the similarity in the headers. I'm afraid neither you nor Martin are worth the level of attention necessary for making fine distinctions. You may not be the same people, but you have the same humorless tone. Might as well be the same people. Meanwhile, had Martin not crossposted to all these groups we might have been spared every meeting you. Martin, God Damn it, stop answering ever post by directing people to your half-assed web site.
Q: I have a hangnail, what should I do? A: Go to the Bexrose website, we have an entire article on trimming hanganails! ~~Martin, half-assed webmaster. Plllbbbbt.
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:48:25 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"

What a gracious way to admit that you were wrong! A level of genuine humility comes with added value!
Geoff

********* With H.T. roses the natural habit is to grow on eacn year and form a straggly bush which eventually plays itself out and falls prey to all sorts of diseases. However, in real life we don't usually grow them for that purpose or aspect. Since they have been either budded or grafted they are not really 'natural' any more. We want an aspect which provides a nice smallish bush which will flush with many flowers and will fit in with its neighbours and all make a good show to please the eye of man. To achieve this the standard practice was and still is, to prune at the appropriate time of season, - summer trimming to keep shape, and spring hard pruning to make the plants develop sturdy shoots, and hence branches which develop their own sub-branches with their consequent blaze of fairly compact colour. Doug.