Andromada propagation

I'm looking for help in propagating a Pieris japonica at my parent's house. I started several weeks ago with several soft-wood cuttings. Stripped all but a few leaves, dipped in hormone and placed in some soil-less mix. All died.
Any suggestions? I really want to get some rooted before they move in the fall.
Thanks,
Charles

Try some summer cuttings, too. Pieris is slow to root anyhow, and seems to like a little bottom heat. FWIW, I prefer straight sand for rooting cuttings. Many commercial growers favor perlite. Also, make your cuts with a very sharp blade... a new single edge razor blade is a good choice.
Any possibility of setting up a mist bench? Raise the humidity around the cuttings to cut the transpiration losses, and keep the air moving so you don't have a fungus factory starting.
Kay

With propagating andromeda layering works best... bend a few young lower branches to the ground, cover with good loam, place a heavy stone on it to hold, and keep moist. After a month roots will have formed, cut off the section with the root ball and plant immediately.
Thanks for everyone!
Charles