amusing story.... human waste as fertizler

True story.... back in February my main sewerage pipe backed up. First indications were waste water building up in the utility sink in basement. Even more amazing, as I tried to move the washing machine to access the soil stack clean out plug, it seemed pretty heavy. Opened up the lid to discover the waste water had backed up into the washing machine also. (yuck).

Anyway, while fixing the problem, all the waste water was pumped through the sump pump into the back yard. Probably about 20 - 30 gallons or so.

Walking around the back yard yesterday.. I noticed.... the grass is bright green and looks very healthy where the waste water went. Rest of the grass still looks late winter ugly.

True Story.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

irst indications were

mazing, =A0as I tried

it seemed pretty

nto the washing

through the sump

ht green and looks

ks =A0late winter

From sewage -- high metal content. Use with care.

Reply to
Father Haskell

green and looks

Not surprising, most of the rest of the world uses human fertilizer. We lived in Germany in the 40s and 50s and the "Honey Wagon" was a common sight (and smell) Any vegetables had to be washed and sterilized and for many years I thought salad was supposed to taste like Clorox

Reply to
Garrapata

g'day peter,

well there you go hey a learning experience, it will come attached with lots of fear hype.

we used a composting toilet for many years used worms to compost the materila used it in our gardens shared our crops, no one developed purple skin or a third eye, they never even got sick let alone worse.

anyhow in suburbia there isn't much flexability so it all goes down the drain.

back in suburbia ourselves now want to do the saw dust bucket method from humanure. reckon we should be managing all our own waste responsibly. i bucket my urine for garden use.

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:58:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

len gardener