Advice on suitable hedging for small garden

We have a small garden which is surrounded by a 3ft fence I built aroun

10 years ago. We have a conifer hedge growing along one side of th fence and although I keep the height in check at 5-6ft, the botto branches are semi dead providing a poor appearance.

We would like to remove the conifers and plant something else. Ideall the replacement would be inexpensive to purchase, evergreen attractive, quick growing to provide us with some privacy from ou neighbours and for security, and easy to maintain.

We were thinking of laurel as its evergreen, inexpensive an attractive, however, we are not sure whether the growth in terms o width and heighth would be too much for a small garden.

We would welcome any helpful

Thank you

-- richardwalton

Reply to
richardwalton

First, where are you? Do you want the hedge to be 5-6ft or shorter? How much distance from the fence can the hedge grow? In other words do you need it to stay fairly close to the fence (upright growing) or can the hedge get a little fat? Do you want a continuous hedge or are individual bushes OK? Do you want something with scent or flowers?

-al sung Rapid Realm Technology, Inc. Hopkinton, MA

Reply to
Alan Sung

Hello Alan and thank you for posting.

We are in Leeds.

We would like the hedge to grow 8-12 inches from the fence in continuous line reaching 5-6 ft, and have a depth of 2-2.5 ft, althoug we can prune accordingly.

We would like an evergreen hedge and flowers or/and scent would be real benefit.

We hope to remove the conifers the same day as planting thei replacements, and with a long weekend coming up, we want to ge cracking

-- richardwalton

Reply to
richardwalton

If it doesn't get too cold there, dwarf citrus or Natal Plum might work for you.

Bill

-- Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Reply to
Bill