A mystery of the botanists among us

Day of the Dandelion by Peter Pringle
Just finished this - the use of the humble dandelion's ability to asexually reproduce is grafted on a food crop and could change agriculture the world over. But will the selfless scientist and his colleagues patent it first or will the minions of the evil agri-business manage to steal and murder their way to the patent.
A bit of romp across Britain and Switzerland, lot of interesting plant info (be prepared to spend a lot of time with google) and a great anti-hero in Arthur Hemmings. I am hoping there will be more.
A great way to spend a snowy winter evening...

Sounds like a good read, Cheryl, Oh, is it OK to read it even if there is no snow? :^) I'll look for it. Thanks Emilie NorCal
On 12/11/07 7:44 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@b40g2000prf.googlegroups.com,

Ok - a rainy day then. I really enjoyed it. C

Maybe, but asexual reproduction? I think I prefer the ol' fashion way. If nothing else it keeps your social skills sharp.
Actually most food crops are annuals but there is work afoot to create perennial food crops.
Happy Holidays;-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
On 12/11/07 9:31 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

So are dandelions Billy! And some food crops can be perennials - berries, fruits....
BUT - if you have very little botany or science in your background, the plot does make more sense.

Ah, uh, huh?
www.landinstitute.org/pages/Bioscience_PerennialGrains.pdf
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/24/HOFKT0647.DTL &hw=Ten+perennial+veggies+to+grow&sn1&sc00
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
On 12/12/07 3:21 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

I've saved that for reading while I'm a little more awake.
And seriously, if you can suspend thinking (about the botany), the plot makes more sense.

Thanks for suggesting the book. I'll look for it at the library.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
On 12/13/07 1:31 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

You're welcome... C

Darn, my library doesnt have the dandelion book yet, But I did find that PP has other interesting books: One was about Earthworms, for children, and another Food, Inc. Mendel to Monsanto-the Promises and Perils of the Biotech Harvest. This sounded interesting, so I brought it home instead. Rather be entertained by the mystery, but maybe I'll learn something instead....LOL Emilie
On 12/16/07 8:53 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com,

Ask them to get the mystery. Lots of google opportunities and I loved having a botanist as the hero.

Yes I did request that they get it. I have been reading some quilting fiction: The Elm Creek Quilts series by Jennifer Chiaverini
Some are present day and some are historical. All have a quilt/s as an important part of the story. Not really 'mysteries', but have things to be solved Fun Emilie
On 12/17/07 12:57 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com,
Snip

I haven't read those yet - I keep meaning to as I hear they are quite good. I'm in the midst of a Regency romance fix - love them in small doses. If you like really silly, try MaryJanice Davidson's Fred the Mermaid series.