A Little Help

Is there anyone in this group who may be willing to receive digital photos of plants to help me identify their species?
FYI: I am the one who presented the questions about sunlight and plants.
Mark

Why not post them in the group alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
that's a good place for such things.

if I had taken the time to search, I would have found same, no?

Mark
OK, help me out here: I am not 'used to using the alt.binaries' groups; I just attempted to get online with one of them, and this specific server wants money. Is this normal, or was I about to be one of the many whom are thwarted from the free sources?
Mark

On 12/20/07 8:10 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com, "Mea505"

your fees.
I can't get the binary groups anymore.
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

as ng browser. Comcast offers a ton of webspace for uploading files. There system is a little cumbersome but I've been using Filezilla and it is very easy once set up.
Frank

I pay for it. Newsguy.com is reasonable and worth it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I understand, I'm only viewing the a.b.p.gardens, weather and nature. I do enjoy them, though. Newsguy is just a better newsfeed for the few groups I still follow. I'm a rec.gardens junkie <G>
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Forget binary newsgroups. Post your pictures at www.photobucket.com. Free. Simple.

I have two ISPs, as I have houses in two different states. At one, I get binary newsgroups with my newsgroups on a cable modem feed. At the other, I do not get any binaries and am on a dish feed to a land tower. Sorry, I forgot. At my cabin, I also have newsgroups, but they are very few, are on a dish to satellite route, and I haven't even really been there enough this year to even set it up.
I thought they just came with the monthly fee. Not so. I was informed by more knowledgeable people where I could get binary newsgroups from specific providers on the net, but it would be at a fee. On my land to land dish, I have a monthly bandwidth limit, and when I get close, my service starts to slow down. That's how it was explained to me. I haven't ever approached the limit, so one would have to find out what constitutes sending and receiving enough material to affect bandwidth limits.
I guess the short answers are that there are sites that will provide you with binary groups. For a fee. And then you will have to monitor your use so you don't rack up additional charges or slowed service from your ISP.
HTH.
Steve

Some of our news providers don't carry binary newsgroups. Better to post the pictures at a site like www.photobucket.com so everyone can see them.

This is true, also. Some ISP's offer some hosting, too, so you can use your own space.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
expounded:

I use flickr, and when I have a question to a newsgroup, I'll put the thing in question on flickr, then put the link on my question in the newsgroup. That works pretty good, and is free. This also targets the newsgroup of people you want to ask about a particular thing, like bird, plant, fish, etc, to people who know such things, and not to thousands of people who are not interested in those topics. Plus, others may be in your same boat and not get binaries either, so you'll miss a lot of prospective answers.
Steve