A compost question

Thanks. I've got to get some fertilizer for the lawn anyway.

Wouldn't this work better if there were a lot of browns (carbon) though? This time of year I have a lot of greens (nitrogen) in the pile.

Dora (Time to haul the tomatoes indoors.)

Reply to
Bungadora

Yes, common knowledge to those that are in the know. It creates more area to be consumed...

Yes, use a fertilizer but don't use a chemical fertilizer...it will feed plants but not the worms...use a natural fertilizer like cow/horse/pig or chicken manure...find your nearest farm or you can purchase it at a local gardening shop. They all will work well in a compost bin and feed the worms as well, and worms work 24-7! Neat eh?

What temperature is it at 160? My last one I measured was at 145...still hot enough.

At that temperature you are probably right. Wow, and they say there is no free lunch...just for worms I guess. :)

Gary Fort Langley BC Canada

To reply please remove...yoursocks...

Reply to
gary davis

I am a 'sort of' a fisherman and I have found most of the 'dew' worms live in clay soil. I'm thinking that the impervious nature of clay protects them from the earthly mole. How a worm could by cyanotic??? I'm not sure. I have yet to see a blue worm...I have, however, seen a green worm...Irish I would think...emigrated to Canada! Gary Fort Langley, BC Canada

Reply to
gary davis

If they like clay soil, that explains why I hit one every time I dig in. No moles, although the cats would like that, I suppose. The lawn is very very bumpy from nightcrawlers, so I topdressed with compost this and reseeded. I don't think I would do the whole yard again. It's too hard to avoid walking on the reseeded portion for the length of time it takes for grass seed to sprout.

As for my earth worms, the ones in my compost are definitely pinker than the ones I dig out of the soil. Just an observation, not a diagnosis. Dora2

Reply to
Bungadora