A compost question

Page 2 of 2

This is my first year in this house and the previous occupant didn't do much. The lawn is half dandilion and first time I cut the grass the neighbors wandered over to thank me.
Many of my neighbors have perennials blooming away, and then you get to my yard, which has all these puny little annuals I started from seed except for some bleeding hearts hijacked from a demo site and a woodruff plant I bought and planted.
Recommendation: A friend has this gorgeous white tulip which just finished blooming called 'Calgary'. I found a site with a picture and an explanation: http://www.theplantexpert.com/springbulbs/Tulip3Triumph.html Dora

I have found that adding a high nitrogen fertilizer to the mix when filling a compost bin will make things move along much faster. I read somewhere that the microbes that do the decomposing use nitrogen in the process.
Shredding everything first also helps a lot.
I started a batch of old leaves, weeds, chipped twigs, dirt, worms, and a buncha bugs; with fertilizer. Some things were not there on purpose - it was their own misfortune. That was a little more than a week ago. Right now it is almost too hot to hold your hand in the pile.
It could be done in a couple more weeks.
Joe Ontario
On 23 Jun 2004 00:01:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Bungadora) wrote:

Wouldn't this work better if there were a lot of browns (carbon) though? This time of year I have a lot of greens (nitrogen) in the pile.
Dora (Time to haul the tomatoes indoors.)

be consumed...

Yes, use a fertilizer but don't use a chemical fertilizer...it will feed plants but not the worms...use a natural fertilizer like cow/horse/pig or chicken manure...find your nearest farm or you can purchase it at a local gardening shop. They all will work well in a compost bin and feed the worms as well, and worms work 24-7! Neat eh?

enough.
At that temperature you are probably right. Wow, and they say there is no free lunch...just for worms I guess. :)

Gary Fort Langley BC Canada
To reply please remove...yoursocks...