2 cycle vs. 4 differences?

I'm debating between a Lawnboy 6.5 hp 2 cycle self propelled vs. a 6.5 hp Toro/Lawnboy 4 cycle self propelled mower. I prefer a 2 cycle, but for $20 more than the Lawnboy, the Toro is electric start. I sort of like this feature. I've always owned 2 cycle mowers, I like the fact that you don't have to worry about changing or checking oil. Since they're the same h.p., would they have the same power? As for as cutting/mulching grass? Are there any other pros or cons of a 4 cycle over a 2, or visa versa?
TOM KAN PA wrote:

Two-cycle is lighter and smaller for the same horsepower, which really doesn't matter for a lawmmower. The biggest overlooked advantage of a 2-cycle is it can be used in any position without it starving for oil. That's a big deal if you are mowing steep hills, otherwise it doesn't make any difference with a lawnmower.
Good premix oil for an aircooled 2-cycle engine is expensive, so it really increases your fuel cost over a 4-cycle.
Bob
I know in outboard motors, the 4 cycle gets far better mileage than the 2 cycle, but mileage is probably not important for a lawn mower. I believe that the 4 cycle, as a rule, pollutes less than a 2 cycle.
TOM KAN PA wrote:

there.
On 10 Oct 2004 19:04:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Hp is Hp.......just depends on how honestly manufacturers rate them and what specific HP rating it is.....Usually a 4 stroke has more torque over its entire operating range than a 2 has so I would seem to suspect horsepower for horsepower the 4 stroke will not bog down as much in heavy stuff......... Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.
On 10 Oct 2004 19:04:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Four cycle engines: Require oil changes Checking oil level regularly Less noise May not lubricate well when operated on steep slopes Has more torque than the 2-cycle counterpart Easier to repair No need to have a separate oil-gas mix container. Uses 30W oil Less polluting
I bought the Self-Pace Toro a couple months ago (no electric start) and really like it. It mows faster than the 21" Honda mower (due to the self pace feature and the 22" blade). It takes a couple mowings to get used to the self-pace feature, but once you get the hang of it I think you'll like it. It starts on the first pull, every time. For a new Toro mower I recommend changing the oil after 2 hours of use and again 2 more hours of use--the break in period turns the oil black quickly.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote in message

Personally, I would not go back to a two cycle. One of my big complaints with them (Lawnboy in specific) was the smoke and smell. Mow for more than one minute and you whole body (clothes, hair, skin) are permeated with that burned oil smell. Changing the oil is simple, and it only needs it a couple of times a season. My 4 cycle seems a bit easier to start and reliable, but that is purely subjective. I can mow the lawn without smelling like an exhaust pipe.
RB
<< Personally, I would not go back to a two cycle. >> ____Reply Separator_____ I went with the Toro Model 20031 Personal Pace Electric Start for $399 (Home Depot). This included the bag. I'd say it was a better deal than the Lawnboy for $379 (pull start, with a $50 optional bag kit). I really wanted to give the business to the local "mom & pop" hardware, but they had no Toros except for commercial models for two to three times as costly as the home model I got.