Will solarization kill bamboo?

Page 2 of 2

Not really, all in all it was a pretty good day. ;-)
Charlie

...sounds fishie to me.

Oh now don't carp about it please!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
On Sun, 04 May 2008 21:29:25 -0700, Persephone wrote:

??? Charlie didn't write that. ???
Charlie

Probably. <g>
I just try to weed it out when it comes up if it's growing where I don't want it. I like my bindweed as long as it's not anywhere near garden beds.
I'm going to have trouble controlling it this year. I let it take over last year as my gardening was minimal. The BC is confined to the front yard. The bindweed is out back.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

What's solarization?
Mary
On Mon, 05 May 2008 11:09:08 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Solarization is done by covering the garden with clear plastic for the entire summer. The plastic acts as a greenhouse so it raises the temperature of the soil to > 110F.

Thank you. It would also keep the soil dry though, which isn't good for most plants.
Mary
On Mon, 05 May 2008 15:21:12 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

It's not supposed to be good for the plants that are there, it's supposed to kill them. Solarization is a means of sterilizing the soil, the idea is to cook the fungi, weeds and other undesirable pests out of the soil. It takes the whole summer so you can't use that piece of garden again until the next year. I have enough garden space so that I can afford to let some land lay fallow and I'm keen to give solarization a try assuming it can work in my area. It's apparently a very effective technique in the hot parts of the country, but it's not clear that it will work here in Massachusetts which is why I'm asking if anyone has used it in a New England like climate.

I've been thinking about this reply. It seems to me that not only would you kill fungi, weeds and undesirable pests, you'd also kill fauna which you want. And weeds would re-establish themselves by seeding. It doesn't seem a good idea to me.
How long has it been practised?
I suppose if you have a lot of land it's practicable, providing you don't mind killing everything.
Mary

You're right, if you simply removed the plastic and don't do anything else to the ground. But, once the ground has been sterilized, so to speak, you can either cover it in three or more inches of mulch, and plant what ever your little heart desires, or leave the plastic in place, and cut openings in it, where you wish to place your plants (good to install drip irrigation if you do this).
--

Billy

Mary, the point is to sterilize the ground, to get rid of vegetative pests. So, yeah, it wouldn't be good for any plant under the plastic. A little moisture though, would probably help in the transfer of heat.
--

Billy

In article

Hm. Might try that on the main garden bed this year to finish killing out the bindweed and wild sunflower. I intend to ONLY container garden this year (except for Okra out front) so I could lay down heavy mil plastic and put the pots on top of that.
I won't have to weed! (happy dance!)

snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk says...

http://ag.arizona.edu/gardening/news/articles/12.8.html