Veg in pots

Hi i have a fair bit of room in my back yard but it is all concrete so
have decided to use pots for a few veg. I have just bought some GREEN WINTER CABBAGE and SPINACH not sure i it's a bit late in the year for the cabbage ?. What else would be goo to plant at this time of year ? Any pointers would be great thanks
Terr
-- terryd
terryd wrote:

Not sure which of these you still have time for, but next year you can plant tomatoes, potatoes, cucumber, celery, cauliflower, even corn in containers. Nothing stops you from trying a few onions and carrots per pail as well.
I use large cedar planters or half barrels as well as the regular 30L pails (5 gallon).
The one thing to remember with container gardening is that you have to use potting soil, not regular soil. The regular stuff will compact very tightly, won't hold water or nutrients. The potting soil retains moisture and contains enough nutrients for one season. You can cut it with some peat as well and I usually add a handful of composted manure, bone meal (if needed by the plant) and compost. A third or more can be straight compost if you like.
The soil has to be replaced the following year (or reinvigorated thoroughly if you have no where to dump the old soil).
..
Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:43:45 +0100, terryd

Cabbage and spinach are cool season crops here in the midlands of South Carolina, as are most greens, dill, and cilantro. Around now is when I'll start seeds, although it's hard to imagine a cool season right now!
You'll do best getting advice on what plants and varieties to plant and when to plant them from someone with a climate similar to yours.
Penelope
terryd wrote:

your climate is, whether you have full or part sun where you intend to put the containers. No one can tell you what to plant when without knowing these basics. -aem
aem wrote:

The email indicates the UK.
..
cloud dreamer Wrote:

Yes i am in the uk. I have quite a well sunned back yard which i surrounded by about a 4.5 foot wall on two side
-- terryd
terryd wrote:

You get sun in the UK? :)
Your weather is much like my own except that your season is probably a little longer. Everything I said will work for you for next year. Pretty well everything I listed except the Tomatoes will tolerate frosts in the Spring. The tomatoes can wait until all danger of frost has passed.
..
Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.
What's the average date of your first frost?

Lettuces and herbs work well in pots year round.
marcella