Speaking of melons

Hi all,
I've grown melons before and always pick them too early. In fact, cantaloupe grew this year from a seed that must have come from my compost.
Anyway, has any had success growing melons/pumpkins on a trellis or wire fencing. I've heard they grown pretty well as long as you support the fruits with slings. I find that the melon and pumpkin vines overtake my relatively small garden, so I thought this may be a good alternative
I'm already planning my garden for next year and wanted any advice on growing melons/pumpkins this way.
Thanks in advance, -Kevin
--
Don't forget to check out my cartoon, Virtual Humor!
http://www.kevinduffy.net/vh.htm

Melons love a fence. Yes, you have to support the fruits, but OTOH, you don't have to worry about insects or rot on the ground. I had a *lovely* cantaloupe growing on a wire fence that the horrible (now ex-) neighbors tore down just as it (the melon, not the fence) was ripening. Don't know about pumpkins.