Speaking of melons

Hi all,

I've grown melons before and always pick them too early. In fact, cantaloupe grew this year from a seed that must have come from my compost.

Anyway, has any had success growing melons/pumpkins on a trellis or wire fencing. I've heard they grown pretty well as long as you support the fruits with slings. I find that the melon and pumpkin vines overtake my relatively small garden, so I thought this may be a good alternative

I'm already planning my garden for next year and wanted any advice on growing melons/pumpkins this way.

Thanks in advance,

-Kevin

Reply to
Toonartist

Melons love a fence. Yes, you have to support the fruits, but OTOH, you don't have to worry about insects or rot on the ground. I had a

*lovely* cantaloupe growing on a wire fence that the horrible (now ex-) neighbors tore down just as it (the melon, not the fence) was ripening. Don't know about pumpkins.
Reply to
Frogleg