Re: Should Watermelons Be Sheltered From The Sun

I live in Phoenix and have some watermelons growing. I don't many places you can get more sun and hot weather. They get sun throughout the majority of the day but no problems with them.
-- Lisa
<BR>&gt;Newsgroups: rec.garden<BR><BR>&gt;Will exposing them to the sun help or hurt their development?<BR>&gt;<BR><BR>They do not need any shelter nor have I ever heard of a grower doing any such<BR>thing.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
LISA! Hi, from a fellow phoenician. I can't get my watermelons to do squat. They are sugar babies. The cantaloupe was horrid as well. What are you doing? Soil, foods, water, etc. Thanks for your help. Roz
Hey Roz and fellow Phoenician! :) hehe
This was my first year growing watermelon,I have the moon and star variety. I'm not sure how many you are typically supposed to get but I've had 3 large ones going so far, waiting for the vines to dry up.
I planted about 3 or 4 transplants that I grew myself from seed. Since we have DRY soil I've been following recommendations of a family member and mixing in some Omni compost. You can find that at Home Depot or similar store. I then sprinkled some of that slow release fertilizer for veggies and mixed it in. It seemed like they took a while to flourish, maybe a month or so but now they are everywhere and I can't keep track of where they trail. lol
I am also paranoid about what vegetables I plant next to each other. Kinda like to have some type of companion planting going on. I don't know if that helps or not but that's what I do. Also, perhaps, giving them lots of room helps. :)
I hope this helps a little. :)
-- Lisa Gehl snipped-for-privacy@email.uophx.edu snipped-for-privacy@giftcrazy.net snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com MSN - snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Yahoo - lisajgehl (602) 354-3402 MST-Arizona Time
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>LISA!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi, from a fellow phoenician.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I can't get my watermelons to do squat.&nbsp; They are sugar babies.&nbsp; The cantaloupe was horrid as well.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>What are you doing?&nbsp; Soil, foods, water, etc.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks for your help.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Roz</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Thanks, Lisa. Maybe it was the variety I chose. roz