My Allotments Wk41 Update

Hi all, another week of progress here at my allotments to share wit
you, I don't know how you are finding the mild weather but some of th Fruit & Vegetables are getting a new lease of life, regards Steve.
http://www.myallotments.co
-- PLOTTY
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:49:45 +0100, PLOTTY

Hi Steve
I'm not sure I understand allotments and if you could briefly explain I would be grateful. In other words, what the bloody hell are allotments? As a yank, I don't get it. I mean no disrespect whatsoever.
Charlie, smack dab in the middle of the us.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

In general it just means a parcel of land. The OP says he has two and there is an allotment association so probably it has some special meaning to him, such as:
noun [C] UK a small piece of ground in or just outside a town that a person rents for growing vegetables, fruits or flowers
He doesn't seem to reply much to the NG, perhaps it's more important to him for his blog to get traffic.
David
Add pictures here
βœ–

Same deal in Germany. There they are called grund stόck (piece of ground).
--
FB - FFF

Billy

βœ–
'Charlie[_2_ Wrote:

Hi Charlie and thanks for your reply.
Allotments were pieces of land provided to workers during th industrial revolution to give them the opportunity to get out of th heavily populated, cramped and polluted conditions of the towns an cities, to grow their own healthy produce whilst in cleaner air an getting exercise at the same time. The areas of land are rented by th tenants for a very modest amount, for example one of my allotments i 100ft x 35ft and costs about $40 a year to rent which is great valu considering how expensive the cost of land is here in the UK, hope thi help explain them better regards Steve
-- PLOTTY
Add pictures here
βœ–

I enjoyed your page. These set-ups are called community gardens in North America. I did a search and was surprised to see that my city has 30 of these. My mom has or had one even though she has a nice sized backyard. I might also look into getting one if there seems to be some extra plots just going to waste. I look forward to your updates. Karen
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:34:14 +0100, PLOTTY

Thanks Steve. Clear now.
Sounds like a good deal to me and a fair cost. No taxes, etc.
Care Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–

Looks like a right beautiful harvest!
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.
βœ–

You still up too? Or just gettin' to it.
Have a good day. Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–

I work nights. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.
βœ–

USA retired military here. Allotment is something they deduct from your pay that you requested. Example: saving allotment.
In your case, an allotment is where you use a parcel of land for your personal use. Along the way, you provide deeper soil and more fertile conditions. That's the way it used to be. Also, added to the equation, are long term unknowns from current fertilizers and insecticides.
No. After seeing this, so far, mild autumn, I don't look forward to winter being any better. There is a purpose in zero vicinity F temperatures regarding insect populations. There is a purpose in plant-life dormant periods. Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave;754677 Wrote:

Hi Dave I agree with you, without a harsh Winter many of the pest survive and are even more of a problem next year unfortunately, Steve
-- PLOTTY
Add pictures here
βœ–