I just went out to my garden to dig the onions

and they are all sprouted again. The freezing weather invigorated them. What do I do now, just dig them and use them like "spring onions"? (I'll have to dig them all before the ground freezes, but that's probably weeks away)
Next year I'm gonna try onion *seeds* again. (These were sets.) And I'll plant the seeds this fall just as the ground freezes so /they/ can decide next spring when to come up instead of me deciding when to plant and invariably being too late.
Bob
P.S. Do I dig my horseradish now, or leave it until early spring? I've never grown it before.

As I understand, any time the plants are dormant is fine.

Well, you're growing it forever now.
Yes that horseradish will be around for years. I had some in a garden on my land across the road. Had to give up that big garden about 20 years ago. Land was used for pigs, then a garden, now a lawn - owners never used the horseradish - but its still there - popping up in their nice smooth lawn - over and over - every year.
JonquilJan
Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning, you start dying

That's why you are supposed to plant that stuff in a buried pot.
Cabbage worms finally managed to kill my potted one one year. :-(
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot
JonquilJan wrote:

So, that brings a thought to mind... I'm trying to find a garden plant that gophers won't destroy. Would horseradish be a good candidate, or is this the meeting of the irresistible force and the immovable object?

on my

ago.
the
lawn -

Don't know about gophers - but the woodchucks never bothered the horseradish. Actually they never bother much of anything in that garden. Perhaps because the other side of the 'hedgerow' was a corn field??
JonquilJan
Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning, you start dying

I've had sets in the garden for years. I just never got around to using or watering them. I'm in Edmonton and the sets made it through the winter without a problem. I liked the flowers.