Hazelnuts in the South

Hi!! I live in Arkansas where the weather is pretty hot in the summer.

We also have a high content of clay in our soil and we have a hig water table. From what I have read these conditions are hard on growin Hazelnut bushes. Does anyone in here grown Hazelnuts in the south?? I need advice on ho I can grow them here. I have planted them and they just up and died This year I planted 5 of them and only 2 sprouted. Any ideas?

-- Maryc

Reply to
Maryc

Hi Maryc! Yes, hazelnuts will grow great in Arkansas, or at least in Johnson County, AR.

As a young boy I living in rural AR, I walked to catch the school bus and there was a fence that ran beside the road. There were dozens of hazelnut bushes along one stretch, I remember what a treat it was in the fall, when the shuck of the hazelnut would turn brown and open.

I don't know where they came from, if they were native, or someone planted them there, I do not recall anyone bringing up the subject.

I don't know about hazelnuts but many seeds require a cold period before they will sprout. Try putting some in the freezer for about a month, then try sprouting them

Sorry I could not be of more help- -Rogerx

Reply to
Rogerx

Thanks so much for the information. It gives me hope. I did find

supplier > > -

-- Maryc

Reply to
Maryc

Where I grew up in East Texas, there were a few small wild nut trees; I'm not sure if they were small hazelnuts or a type of chestnut -- I think they were called chinquapins.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Hi Bob, Your are right about the chinquapins, they were North American Chestnuts. Unlike the hazelnut, their shuck had spines. During the time period I was talking about (60+) years ago, Chinquapins thrived in Arkansas too, however, a disease killed all of the known trees in this part of Arkansas and I understand it also destroyed most of the trees in the south and southwest.

Have a good day, Rogerx

Reply to
Rogerx

I also have Chestnut trees in my yard but they are the variety that ar

not affected by the diseases. We have already harvested a few of them My Husband loves them and he roasts them in the microwave in a towe because they blow up and make a powder if they are not in the towel :)

Rogerx Wrote:

-- Maryc

Reply to
Maryc

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com. hi Mary C. I wish you well with the growing of your Hazelnuts. cheers joyce.

Reply to
joyce.sewell

Thanks Joyce!!

I have two of them that are growing. I am going to order more for thi next spring brom Baggersett. They are the ones that do the research o Hazelnuts and Chestnuts. I think I may have more luck with their plant so I'm going to try

-- Maryc

Reply to
Maryc

I've got about 120 plants ranging from 2-10'. The small ones are just 2 years old and the others are 4 years old. Most are growing very vigorously in clay soil with about 12" of decent top soil. I've not seen any nuts yet

Reply to
Johnf

:)

when would they normally start to go nutty?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Perhaps they are all too closely related ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops