Hazelnuts in the South

Hi!! I live in Arkansas where the weather is pretty hot in the summer.
We also have a high content of clay in our soil and we have a hig water table. From what I have read these conditions are hard on growin Hazelnut bushes. Does anyone in here grown Hazelnuts in the south?? I need advice on ho I can grow them here. I have planted them and they just up and died This year I planted 5 of them and only 2 sprouted. Any ideas?
-- Maryc
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:14:13 +0000, Maryc

Hi Maryc! Yes, hazelnuts will grow great in Arkansas, or at least in Johnson County, AR.
As a young boy I living in rural AR, I walked to catch the school bus and there was a fence that ran beside the road. There were dozens of hazelnut bushes along one stretch, I remember what a treat it was in the fall, when the shuck of the hazelnut would turn brown and open.
I don't know where they came from, if they were native, or someone planted them there, I do not recall anyone bringing up the subject.
I don't know about hazelnuts but many seeds require a cold period before they will sprout. Try putting some in the freezer for about a month, then try sprouting them
Sorry I could not be of more help- -Rogerx
Thanks so much for the information. It gives me hope. I did find
supplier online for them. It is a Hazelnut research company. I'm goin to order more fot this spring. They sell the plants already sprouted they call them tublings. The ones I planted before were in dorman stage and they never came out of it. Thanks again!! :)
Rogerx Wrote:

-- Maryc
Maryc wrote:

Where I grew up in East Texas, there were a few small wild nut trees; I'm not sure if they were small hazelnuts or a type of chestnut -- I think they were called chinquapins.
Bob

Hi Bob, Your are right about the chinquapins, they were North American Chestnuts. Unlike the hazelnut, their shuck had spines. During the time period I was talking about (60+) years ago, Chinquapins thrived in Arkansas too, however, a disease killed all of the known trees in this part of Arkansas and I understand it also destroyed most of the trees in the south and southwest.
Have a good day, Rogerx
I also have Chestnut trees in my yard but they are the variety that ar
not affected by the diseases. We have already harvested a few of them My Husband loves them and he roasts them in the microwave in a towe because they blow up and make a powder if they are not in the towel :)
Rogerx Wrote:

-- Maryc
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com. hi Mary C. I wish you well with the growing of your Hazelnuts. cheers joyce.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Wrote:

Thanks Joyce!!
I have two of them that are growing. I am going to order more for thi next spring brom Baggersett. They are the ones that do the research o Hazelnuts and Chestnuts. I think I may have more luck with their plant so I'm going to try
-- Maryc