Ginger

Anybody grow ginger in the UK?
If so, how?
I stuck a sprouting tuber in a rised bed and it just died!
I did the same, though it was a long sprout - about 1 or 2 inches. It appeared happy in a glass dish (hi sides) with dirt and placed by a sunny window. The dirt was kept damp. When moved out doors, it started to turn brown. Assuming this indicated a lack of water, heaps were dosed daily and its still there and growing too.
Hul

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:34:31 GMT, Steve Newport wrote:

house in spring. It grew to about 2ft.X 2ft.and it looked like it would make quite a nice house plant. Come late autumn it started looking a bit sick,so I pulled it up to reveal my crop. The root was about half the size of when it was first planted ;o(.
--
Regards From
Wane Smooth
Steve Newport wrote:

may depend on where in the UK, even in June. Ginger is a tropical, and while I have seen it warmer in Edinburgh than it ever gets here in Hawaii it's few and far between. Ginger goes dormant here in winter, that doesn't mean it's dead even if it looks it. I'd keep it in a wide planter, give it a good amount of sun as long as the weather cooperates and a well protected spot and move indoors if the weather forecast talks about lower 60s (Fahrenheit, about 18 Centigrade.) or below.
Hope this works out for you. Fresh homegrown ginger is much better than anything you'll get in a store.
Aloha, Maren, in Hilo, Hawaii Palms, Etc.: Tropical Plant Seeds - Hand-made Jewelry - Plants & Lilikoi http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc /

Thanks, Maren. Someone just gave me about 15 ginger roots. I'm going to plant a few for houseplants, and eat the rest!
If you have any really good recipes for whitefish (halibut or gray cod is what I have) and ginger, or a recipe for ginger beer or tea, I'm all ears...
Best Fishes,
Jan in Alaska

Freshly grated ginger goes best with a bit of garlic imho. And a gentle application of Oyster sauce. ;-d
Or lemon if you don't want a very strong flavor.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.