First Broad Bean

Yesterday, I noticed my first broad bean (fava in USian?) of the season popping it's head up. Must plant the next lot in a few days. I love new, tiny broad beans.

Reply to
Farm1

Afte several years I have given up on them as they are just too much work for the result. Yes they are very nice when young and fresh. But you have to grow a lot of plants to get a few beans and then there is much shelling and peeling. After harvesting I could fill a compost bay with the plants and shells for a couple of kilos of edibles. Of course if you get a strong wind (I mean blowing over the garden not after you eat them) the buggers blow down and turn in circles.

David Hare-Scott

Yebbut they are actually well worth eating unlike the BBs one' can buy.

Himself used to hate all sorts of beans including BBs. He's one of those very strong willed people so I've not bothered to grow them or serve then but after aobut 35 years, I'd decided that enough was enough and I liked them so I would grow them because at least I would eat them. The tiny ones were so gorgeous that even he decided he liked them and has even now eaten home grown green beans.

For me, I tend to only grow things that are so much better than the bought that it's worth my time and effort. and we do have some good places within an hours drive where I can get good veg but I still put BBs firmly into the better grown category.

After harvesting I could fill a compost bay with the plants

Chooks love the haulms.

Of course if you get a strong

:-)) I thought that is why one was supposed to put stakes at about 2 ft intervals and tie some baling twine in squares so they got some support.

Reply to
Farm1

So many things are so much better when fresh but We are not so keen on them to go to the trouble. Asparagus on the other hand.....

Loverly word.

I have tried that with modest success. Perhaps if the windbreak round the vege garden gets more effective I will try again.

David Hare-Scott

Oooh slobber - not too long to wait now till they start putting their wee heads up.....

We put a whole lot of wattles on the windward side behind a fence of 6 ft high shade cloth and it's gorgeous in the patch now even when it's blowing a gale. The wattles grew like stink and I'm now asking him to top them but he's nto keen on doig that.

Reply to
Farm1

No. They have weak stems and grow tall with lots of folliage and pods to make them top heavy.

David Hare-Scott

I've tried growing them in the past, but the window of opportunity between 'soil workable' and hotter weather than they like is a problem (worse than ever, these last few years).

They are very prone to attracting an explosion of big, black aphids, too.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz