Corn silk

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone here eat corn silk? I love it. It is so sweet. I like it better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a nice serving.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Apparently it can also be smoked. Never tried it. Any takers?
David

Common in your area, David?
Gunner wrote:

No, I read it was practised by native Americans. Is that right?

David, its a bit overgenealized to brand it as "was practiced by native Americans'. Many more major pharmacological herbs/plants smoked and ingested back in the day. Yet I'm sure there are accounts of silk being used by certain of the NA nations. Still, any use would have only been a minor aspect in the much larger harvest rituals of which corn was always the king of the court. Really no different in intent than most End Of Season rituals throughout the world.
On the other hand, I believe there are mentions in the old Foxfire book series. Lot of it smoked behind the barn back in the day, I'm sure. Some of the Nuevo White Indians" want to claim some ancient magic psychic holistic medicinal properties, but really there is no secret mind altering shamanistic alkaloids. Still nothing wrong with eating it. Lots of evidence to it being helpful in urinary tract infections,maybe anti cancer, some demulcent properties.... , but the Internet would tell ya that.
So come on, what was..." Never tried it. Any takers?".
Really, you want to know about smoking corn silk by NAs?
Gunner wrote:

Not really, just thread drifting, never mind.
On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 10:14:47 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

Don't know about that, but as a tea corn silk is a diuretic, IIRC.
Steve B wrote:

yes, since i microwave the corn in the husk without peeling it that leaves the silk inside. it tastes as good as the corn does. i do not eat the brown dried stuff on the ends, just the green strands along the ear.
i cut the end with the dried stuff off, peel back the husks and use them as a handle when eating.
songbird

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topis is general gardening.

Glad to know someone else from my internet literacy class stumbled across this as well.

Same here. I am sorry that we have interrupted your discussion with this nonsense. It's a required assignment we have to do. Please accept my appolgy.

For future reference there is an alt.test newsgroup where these posts would be better aimed. AND along with internet literacy should be taught Usenet etiquette. Finally you should also be taught to "munge" your email addresses to avoid the plethora of spam available on the net.
Mike
4/19/2011
You forgot three of my favorites, its and it's, lightning and lightening, and to, too and two
:-)

Maybe they will cover it when you get to middle school.
Steve
4/19/2011

Hello Steve I have left in your cut and paste so that you may use it again when next you misread a post. I was offering no criticism to your original post and was attempting to add a little to the information of those who were using your post to further their education on "internet literacy"
I do not use "BLOCK SENDER" whatever that may be. I am willing to read all posts and reply as I see fit.
Mike
4/19/2011

You are a rational man in a sea of schlubs.
Steve

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topis is general gardening.
In article

Steve, fuck off, please. You are an idiot ;O)
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and

I do not eat corn silk. Sorry

I never toss the corn silk. My pet rabbit loves it, along with the inner husks. Abd the cats love the juicy cobs with a few odd kernels left on.