Cantalopes & squirels

rec.gardens.edible Cantalopes & squirels
Do squirels forage cantalope patchs? Have a small patch in the Ohio river valley that's shown only one small 1 in. cantalope so far. The squirels seem to be having a good year, though.
Hul

They never hit mine when I grew them, but I have a fenced yard, and dogs that will eat squirrels if they can catch them.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Andy writes:
Each spring when I put in a garden, the local squirrels take note. As soon as I see one in my garden, it becomes shot. Then I build a little gallows in the middle of the garden and hand the carcass from it.....
It seems to work... Stinks for about a week, but no further squrrels come into the garden......
My garden is fenced, and I have a dog..... Squirrels just laugh at that....They are too fast and too quick for most dogs and cats, especially when they aren't taken by surprised. They are not too fast for a good pellet rifle, however.....
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Interesting solution. ie, how to communicate with squirels. Thanks.
Hul

You probably wouldn't even have to shoot one to have this affect. Simply find a squirrel that was hit by a car and rub it around the preimeter of your garden. Squirrels are rodents. I know that rats will avoid a trap if they smell that a rat has been killed by it.

So do turtles and raccoons. I put up a squirrel feeder and they kept away from the garden, but it didn't stop the other two.
Dwayne