Brussels but no sprouts

In the autumn I planted various brassicas. The cabbages grew and made large cabbages, the cauliflowers grew and made good heads etc. However the brussels sprouts grew stems with leaves and little tiny sprouts about the size of a pea. They are all in the same plot and treated the same way. Now it's spring and I am about to pull out the brussels sproutless. Can anybody tell me why the sprouts never grew any sprouts?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Usually if they haven't had a good frost on them they wont sprout. I sometimes have the problem. if the winters too mild, they've been planted late or not enough water. Then they wont do as well.

David Hare-Scott wrote:

Reply to
Jonno

We do get quite cool winters usually but this one was fairly mild, only a handful of hard frosts. Oh well it's too late now I need the space for summer crops.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Mark

Ever since being a member of this group - I've tried to re-grow brussels sprouts. Again - my crop was terrible this past year. I think I grew them too late, I didn't trim the lower leaves off the plant and I didn't stake them properly. All three will be practiced this year .. in addition to some new varieties of seeds from England. Varieties 'state- side' is limited.

Any new ideas very much appreciated.

All the best, Mark Thompson

Reply to
Mark

Brussels sprouts are the one green that I just cannot bring myself to eat. When I was a very young man in the U.S. Navy the !@#$% chief cook on the destroyer I was on evidently loved the damned things. We had them about three times a week. I can smell them cooking now and I start gagging.

Cabbage, kale, any other green garden type, I will eat.

I hope this doesn't jinx you Mark.

George in Texas, USA

Reply to
George Shirley