Brussels but no sprouts

In the autumn I planted various brassicas. The cabbages grew and made large cabbages, the cauliflowers grew and made good heads etc. However the brussels sprouts grew stems with leaves and little tiny sprouts about the size of a pea. They are all in the same plot and treated the same way. Now it's spring and I am about to pull out the brussels sproutless. Can anybody tell me why the sprouts never grew any sprouts?
David
Usually if they haven't had a good frost on them they wont sprout. I sometimes have the problem. if the winters too mild, they've been planted late or not enough water. Then they wont do as well.
David Hare-Scott wrote:

large
the
Now
anybody
insane
them
We do get quite cool winters usually but this one was fairly mild, only a handful of hard frosts. Oh well it's too late now I need the space for summer crops.
David