Beets and and radishes are darn hard to grow

For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my life. I always thought radishes were an idiot's delight, growing fast and big for even the blackest thumb. But after two months, my radishes still weren't very big. The beets never filled out either--they sprouted and then just sat there for months until I finally pulled them up and threw them away so I could grow something else there. I gave them a lot of water, and the soil is very loose, so I just don't get it.

I am not asking for advice, since I don't really like radishes or beets anyway, but I thought it was funny how miserably they grow for me!

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

Steve Peek

Yep. tomatoes are good here!

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

Soft soil, plenty of P & K, and no litter in the bed before plants come up. Charlie was bragging on his French breakfast radishes last year, so I tried them and they are growing fine. That enough variables for you?

Reply to
Billy

"Suzanne D." wrote in news:h019q8$ooq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

I've had good luck with beets. Just tossed them on the ground and covered them.

Just curious, how much nitrogen is in your soil? Nitrogen is associated with leafy green plants, but too much nitrogen keeps the plant growing when it should be making fruit.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:28:17 -0700, Billy spuked forth:

And have they reached eatin' size yet?

I just finished the last ones in the fridge, along with a hardboiled egg and a piece of toasted wholegrain with butter and a glass of iced coffee......heaven.

Lettuce know what you think of them. Some of ours were quite large without being woody, pithy, or hot. They are definitely our favorite radishes.

I neglected my succession planting routine and am now going to be without for three weeks...grrrrr.

Charlie

?What do I know of man's destiny? I could tell you more about radishes.? --- Samuel Beckett

Reply to
Charlie

That is so odd!!!

my radishes grow crazy fast, almost as easy to grow as weeds. will be doing beets next year but never had a problem with them growing as a kid with my dad.

only thing i can thing, when i make my tiny trough to sow the seeds in, i put some compost in there to give the seeds a good boost to get going.

Reply to
bigmike20vt

Oh yeah. I started on them when they were the size of a dime and now they are up to the size of a quarter.

Haven't had them for breakfast, mostly dinner salads.

No, they still got a crunch to them.

Don'cha just hate learnin' curves?

Is he still waiting for Godot to bring the radishes?

Reply to
Billy

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 08:17:08 -0700, Billy spuked forth:

Yep, in the meantime would a carrot do ya?

The spring planted spinach is now going nuts.....spinach salad and pizza for lunch.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Amazing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

That's kind of funny as I have the same problem w/ cucumbers, which should be SO easy to grow. Every time I try they just konk out on me w/ very little production. Yeah, I should probably check my soil, but everything else grows like gangbusters.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Lewis

I'm not sure. The soil on the top layer is a commercial mix, but it doesn't have fertilizers or anything in it. Previously, that bed was planted in corn, and then I piled some dead leaves on it in the fall.

For what it's worth, I've tried growing radishes inside, in little plastic flats, and they don't grow there either.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

I can't help asking why you grow them if you don't like them and/or don't eat them. I don't grow or eat radishes but do grow beets. They're one of the easiest plants to grow in sunny fertile soil. This year most of my garden is "behind" due to the constant rain and lack of sunny warm days.

Reply to
D. Arlington

I just blanched mine this afternoon and it's now in the freezer along with chard.

Reply to
D. Arlington

Because the other people in my family like them.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days off and on and I have to side with Billy on this. I think you either have a shortage of P and/or K in your soil.

Reply to
Steve

Beets want calcium. For a quick fix, save your eggshells and grind them in a blender with water and pour that in a small area and plant your beets. It might put enough calcium in the soil quickly enough to help.

Reply to
June