Beets and and radishes are darn hard to grow

For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my life. I always thought radishes were an idiot's delight, growing fast and big for even the blackest thumb. But after two months, my radishes still weren't very big. The beets never filled out either--they sprouted and then just sat there for months until I finally pulled them up and threw them away so I could grow something else there. I gave them a lot of water, and the soil is very loose, so I just don't get it.
I am not asking for advice, since I don't really like radishes or beets anyway, but I thought it was funny how miserably they grow for me! --S.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Just as long as you can grow a sweet juicy tomato, everything else is forgiven. Steve

Add pictures here
โœ–

โœ–

Soft soil, plenty of P & K, and no litter in the bed before plants come up. Charlie was bragging on his French breakfast radishes last year, so I tried them and they are growing fine. That enough variables for you?
--

- Billy
โœ–

And have they reached eatin' size yet?
I just finished the last ones in the fridge, along with a hardboiled egg and a piece of toasted wholegrain with butter and a glass of iced coffee......heaven.
Lettuce know what you think of them. Some of ours were quite large without being woody, pithy, or hot. They are definitely our favorite radishes.
I neglected my succession planting routine and am now going to be without for three weeks...grrrrr.
Charlie
“What do I know of man's destiny? I could tell you more about radishes.” --- Samuel Beckett
Add pictures here
โœ–

Oh yeah. I started on them when they were the size of a dime and now they are up to the size of a quarter.

Haven't had them for breakfast, mostly dinner salads.

No, they still got a crunch to them.

Don'cha just hate learnin' curves?

Is he still waiting for Godot to bring the radishes?
--

- Billy
โœ–

Yep, in the meantime would a carrot do ya?
The spring planted spinach is now going nuts.....spinach salad and pizza for lunch.
Charlie
Add pictures here
โœ–

<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvwzUcxZOMA

<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
า6AhcKeEbE>
Amazing.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.
โœ–
"Charlie" wrote in message

I just blanched mine this afternoon and it's now in the freezer along with chard.
Add pictures here
โœ–

I've had good luck with beets. Just tossed them on the ground and covered them.
Just curious, how much nitrogen is in your soil? Nitrogen is associated with leafy green plants, but too much nitrogen keeps the plant growing when it should be making fruit.
Puckdropper
โœ–
"Puckdropper" <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in message news:0041b9fb$0$8097

I'm not sure. The soil on the top layer is a commercial mix, but it doesn't have fertilizers or anything in it. Previously, that bed was planted in corn, and then I piled some dead leaves on it in the fall.
For what it's worth, I've tried growing radishes inside, in little plastic flats, and they don't grow there either. --S.
Add pictures here
โœ–
'Suzanne D.[_2_ Wrote: > ;848608']For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my > life. I always

> the

> big.

> there for

> grow

That is so odd!!!
my radishes grow crazy fast, almost as easy to grow as weeds. will be doing beets next year but never had a problem with them growing as a kid with my dad.
only thing i can thing, when i make my tiny trough to sow the seeds in, i put some compost in there to give the seeds a good boost to get going.
--
bigmike20vt

Add pictures here
โœ–
That's kind of funny as I have the same problem w/ cucumbers, which should be SO easy to grow. Every time I try they just konk out on me w/ very little production. Yeah, I should probably check my soil, but everything else grows like gangbusters.
Robert

Add pictures here
โœ–

I can't help asking why you grow them if you don't like them and/or don't eat them. I don't grow or eat radishes but do grow beets. They're one of the easiest plants to grow in sunny fertile soil. This year most of my garden is "behind" due to the constant rain and lack of sunny warm days.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Because the other people in my family like them. --S.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:22:53 -0600, "Suzanne D."
I've been thinking about this the last couple of days off and on and I have to side with Billy on this. I think you either have a shortage of P and/or K in your soil.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Beets want calcium. For a quick fix, save your eggshells and grind them in a blender with water and pour that in a small area and plant your beets. It might put enough calcium in the soil quickly enough to help.
Add pictures here
โœ–