Bay Laurel rescue plan

I've purchased for a song an abandoned Bay Laurel about 3 1/2' tall. It managed to put out some new growth so I thought i've give it a try. Some of the leaves are torn or discolored from well water i believe. I'll be cleaning the leaves individually but my problem is the roots. It's dreadfully root bound and has a huge variety of bug life living in the pot. I'd like to bring it onto my patio but I don't dare as it is. What's the best way to get rid of the bugs? Can I unpot it and take the hose to the roots before repotting in "clean" dirt or will that kill it? Any advise will be helpful.
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Ladypii) wrote in message

sure, clean it off, do it in the evening so it has 12 hours to recover, trim the roots to break the root loop, select a bigger pot, lay down the roots and replant it promptly, soak the pot, and keep it in the shade for a few days.
il 20 Apr 2004 11:34:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (simy1) ha scritto:

I'd also take off a lot of leaves to reduce transpiration.
--
Cheers,
I've just pruned my Bay Laurel cause I want it to bush out a little. This is an indoor plant and is putting out shoots. For the moment I have cut all the small branches, trimmed the leaves, dipped the stem in rooting hormone and have half in a good starter soil and half in water.
il Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:55:09 -0400, "MOM PEAGRAM" ha scritto:

Ahh, the best way is to keep those prunings. is it too late? Just turn them into little sticks with a few leaves and put into cutting mix with a humid environment. I don't think the soil is meant to be wet like that, just damp. it's the air that's meant to be moist. They'll rot if too wet. Mine are in a glass of water waiting for me to get round to it.... I'll look up my propagating notes later.
--
Cheers,
Basically, that's what I did with the ones in a starter medium. I'll put a bag over it now.

il Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:41:22 -0400, "MOM PEAGRAM" ha scritto:

Cuttings are complex (although for the roses I just stuck 'em in the ground over winter) . My book says propagate in summer or autumn. There will be a 50-75% strike rate and will take 30 days or more.
--
Cheers,

I've discovered(by accident) that the best place to propagate softwood cuttings over the winter is on the north side of my house(in the shade of the house). I put the cuttings(dipped in water, then rooting hormone) in potting soil in the shade on the north side of my house and they root well there. This year I started 23 peach cuttings. 22 of them took root.

You must live somewhere warm?