A load of s**t

Arrived in my yard yesterday afternoon ... barn scrapings , from goats , sheep , chickens/ducks/other fowl . Another is coming today , this stuff has been composting in place for who knows how long . This comes from a neighbor I shared seeds and advice with , young fellow that's just getting started in gardening for food . I'm doing what I can to positively affect his experience ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

:) always nice to help out others who are getting going. worm feast! :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

How big was your grin? That's like winning the lottery for a gardener. Around here they package s**t and sell it for ten bucks. I miss the days in Louisiana when friends would tell us to come on out and get a pickup load of s**t and they would help us load. One friend was cleaning out a cow shelter that hadn't been used in ten years and loaded my truck with front end loader. He got jams, jellies, and pickles until we moved.

Reply to
George Shirley

"scat" is polite farmer talk for s**t. :-)

Worked for a farm animal pharmacy for a while. They used the word "scat" so much that the 12 year old inside me actually stopped chuckling. "Did you check their scat to see if ..."

I grew up on a small farm in SE Texas, even my grandmother called it s**t. So there!

Reply to
George Shirley

Even the strait-laced mormon community I grew up in called it s**t .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Just out of curiosity, did you get you mouth washed out with soap if you said that word, be she could say it as much as she wanted?

"Where did you hear that word ?!?!?" And please tell me you were wish enough not to answer!

:-)

^^^ wise

Reminds me of an incident my wife had with a 1st grader in her class . She called Daddy in because of the kids nasty mouth , Daddy said " Well , I just don't know where in hell he heard that sh**".

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Both my wife and I are almost rolling on the floor laughing!

Nope, my paternal grandmother loved me, she just tut tutted, and shook her finger at me. After all I was her eldest grandchild. Just like all my elders she used that word frequently. I never feared my grandmother but was scared to death of my mother, she whacked me upside my head with a ten inch cast iron skillet once for back talking her.

Reply to
George Shirley

Sounds like a couple of my paternal uncles, one was a boilermaker and the other was a carpenter. They said it like it was and would then grin at you. I miss all those folks.

Reply to
George Shirley

That explains a lot. ;)

Reply to
~misfit~

I credit the head whacking for my IQ, she jarred my brain enough to get me through high school and college over a thirty year span. Now I'm just another retired old fart living on his youth. If I had known I was going to live this long I would have saved more money. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

It's a beautiful morning in SE Texas, temp is right around 64F, no rain, a bit of clouds. The garden is doing well, I think we will go get some store bought groceries today.

Reply to
George Shirley

George Shirley wrote: ...

it's been cold here. spring is trying, just slowly gaining ground this year. we might hit 50F sometime this week. a few nights still below freezing.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

You will love this. The Battle Hymn of Baby Boomers:

We're awaiting the further influx of Californians to Texas as they flee the great liberal surge. We're still got room for you songbird and it's warm here and the garden is a-growing. Fertilized the growing stuff today as they were looking a bit puny. Fish fertilizer seems to help them though.

The dawg and I had a nice afternoon nap and awoke to find the lady of the house was gone somewhere but left a note that said she would really be back soon. I checked to see if the credit card was missing and it's not so things will probably be okay. I shiver to think of another load of plants being brought onto this small property. The dawg assured me everything would be okay but she's a female too.

Reply to
George Shirley

George Shirley wrote: ...

thanks George! i really do like it here... if i moved someplace for the sake of comfort it would be the tropics, then i could study the many ant species, drink dark spiced rum and sweat off about 30lbs.

when you are surrounded... :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We lived in Saudi Arabia for five years, 1981-1986, I loved the weather except for the occasional sand storms. Lived right on the Red Sea, our weekend was Thursday/Friday and we would go to the Sharm (Arabic for creek) every Thursday and fish, swim, snorkel, etc. Lots of good fish plus we could fish off the reef into the Red Sea, 900 feet straight down the coral and lots of big fish came around. For a good ol' boy from SE Texas it was like going to heaven without any beer.

I've got the two page article I wrote for Salt Water Fisherman magazine way back then framed and on the wall. My friend, now gone to fisherman heaven, caught a very large fish on 20 lb line and he and his fish are the only picture in the article. Only article I ever sold to a fishing magazine.

It's warming up quickly around here, we're having to water our clay daily.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

We hit 70 a while back - and zero more recently. 34 this morning. I'm afeared it will another bad fruit year (last year was the odd-ball bumper-crop year) since odds are good the night at zero after all the early warmth had a negative impact on the flower buds - but that remains to be confirmed in time.

I suspect it's been a terrible sap year as well (I'm not tapped this year) as we've only had short stretches of suitable weather, and long runs of too cold or too warm, and the too warm brings out the buds which makes an end of useful sap.

Reply to
Ecnerwal