Totally OT: USB1.1 - USB 2.0

Page 1 of 2

Sorry to be totally OT but you guys seem to have a wide knowledge range on most things. I have a 3 year old PC that has 6 USB 1.1 ports. If I install a PCI card which has 4 USB 2.0 ports on it, will they be 2.0 or will my PC only 'run them' as if they were 1.1, if that makes sense?
Cheers
John
John wrote:

Nope - they will be USB 2.0 ports. There is a USB controller on the PCI card which implements the 2.0 standard.
Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

But only if you're running XP AND install SP2.
Tim

I have a PCI card in a Win98SE machine and it's running USB2 speeds without problems.
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com
Tim Downie wrote:

Or install USB2 drivers, like the rest of us did in the dark ol' days before XP SP2.
JW
John wrote:

The manufacturers would look a bit stupid if it didn't run as USB2.0 don't you think.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

No more 'stupid' than CDR manufacturers that claimed write speeds of 32x and you complained because your CD Writer only wrote them at it's top speed of 16x. I was asking the question as I thought my PC would force them to run at 1.1 due to some internal wizardry. As my old Gran used to say "If you cannot say anything nice or constructive, then say nowt!!"
John
John wrote:

I gave it to you straight or could you not decipher the post?
ps uk.comp.homebuilt is where all the pc geeks hang out.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

[snip]
Did "your old Gran" also suggest posting to appropriate newsgroups?
No? Then it's bloody rich to complain about the replies to a self stated totally OT post.
Take it somewhere appropriate, then you might have reason to complain about the responses. Someone

Yet another pointless, stupid and completely unhelpful comment! The OP asked a question - answer it or shut up!
Terence wrote:

Ooh! handbags at dawn.
You're big man behind a computer heh!
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

snipped-for-privacy@h.co.uk says...

Not as stupid as you look right now. A USB2 card won't necessarily run at USB2 speeds, but will fall back to USB1.1 unless appropriate drivers are installed.
--

Hywel
http://kibo.org.uk /
Hywel Jenkins wrote:

Erm! I wouldn't buy the card if it didn't come with drivers.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I would, as they are built-in to newer versions of Windows and Linux kernels.
Alex
snipped-for-privacy@h.co.uk says...

USB2 support, even in XP Pro, requires an update from Microsoft.
--

Hywel
http://kibo.org.uk /
Hywel Jenkins wrote:

And possibly an OS update or service pack, depending.
Owain
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:48:15 +0000 (UTC), John wrote:

Yes, if you have XP.
BTW, want to buy a card?
--
Nigel M

How much?
John
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

I do. How much?
Si
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:29:34 -0000, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I've got a couple to put on eBay, say 6.95 inc P&P.
Find me via item number: 6042315627
--
Nigel M