Totally OT: Reverse Telephone/Fax Numbers

Page 2 of 2

Are you sure its a fax and not a modem?
Not sure what you do if it is a modem, but I can't think of any obvious way to 'talk' back to it without knowing what its trying to do. One hint might be that a fax machine would generally pick up the line, whilst most modems wouldn't.
IanC
John wrote:

Reverse search directories are illegal under UK Data Protection laws. Faxing the number will only work if their equipment accepts incoming faxes, which it might not if it is some automated fax-out system.
If you report it to BT Malicious Calls Bureau they can give you Choose to Refuse for a month free. You can also report it to your local Police as a crime under the Prevention from Harassment Act. The Police do have access to reverse search facilities.
Owain

Type 01923 229224 into google and you'll get my company
--
geoff

While we're talking about free fax services...
Others have already mentioned the outbound free fax service provided by tpc.
It is also possible to get free inbound fax from either www.efax.com or www.efax.co.uk.
I forget which is which, but one has a free service (works via a national rate number, so some people/companies may not want to fax to it). Also I think the level of spam into my wife's account increased when she subscribed.
There are doubtless other companies doing this, but this is the only free one i've found.
Zikki Malambo wrote:

They're the same company; I used the .com address to set mine up many years ago. It's an ideal solution for me just to be able to receive faxes very occasionally; it's always from businesses so the 0870 number really isn't an issue (not as if it's an 09** number).
Note that it's quite hard to find to the free (incoming only) service; they direct you firmly towards the paid-for version. 'Limited account' I think is what you need. Possibly not available on the .co.uk site?
Re spam: I submitted a dedicated email to efax when I subscribed, and I've never received any emails on that account other than those from efax. However, you do have to "opt-in" to promotional emails from them, although I don't class that as spam because I choose to receive it. I never see it anyway, as it gets taken care of by my Popfile antispam filter.
David