Stair case

Hi Guys
I wonder if you can help with this.
We has a stair case installed about 20 odd years ago I sanded it and gave it umteen coats of varnish and it's looked the dogs dangly bits for all those years.
The problem ...... We are about to redecorate the hall (where the stair is!) And although the stair is sill OK the treads are looking tired, the varnish has worn through in places, its lots of dents caused by my high heals!!! (what I do on a Friday night is my business) it has got scratched and bashed a bit with just the usual lugging things up and down.
If I just sand and revarnish it then all I will be doing is just sealing in the old dirty marks, bumps and bashes.
Any thoughts on how to revive the treads or cover them with something that doesn't look like a patch up.
TIA
George

go for sling backs, less damage caused ;o)

AAH!! Reg if only we had met 20 years ago my life would have been changed and probably I wouldn't have bothered varnishing the stair!!!!!!!!!
french polisher,,,,
worked for me!
john