Solar Panels

With the current buyback offers, the sales folk make solar power microgeneration a contender for you cash and having seen a few houses have panels fitted it makes me wonder are they going into it blind?
A typical 2Kw array on a test house in Dundee Scotland is at http://www.solarcitiesscotland.org.uk/informationSunCityHouse.aspx and displays live data from their panels yet as of 09:18 today it is generating all of 100.66 watts.
At that sort of generation rate they will never pay for themselves. Anyone got such a system either DIY or pro installed and can comment factually on their payback / practicality of the system?
Gio
Virus Database (VPS): 110603-1, 03/06/2011
Gio wrote:

Look into it properly. The payback period for a suitably sited array (un-obscured and south facing elevated at 30-45 degrees) is around 8-10 years provided the installer you choose does not rip you off. You cannot DIY and claim the feed in tariff - in must be installed by an MCS approved contractor to qualify. The feed in tariff is typically 4 x the retail price of the electricity which is the ONLY thing that makes it viable.
On 04/06/2011 10:44, Bob Minchin wrote:

And the cost of this huge subsidy (which adds nothing to the well-being of mankind) is added onto the electricity bills of OAPs like me.
Another Dave
Another Dave wrote:

Yes I agree Dave - life is not fair but opportunities are there to be taken.
Bob - another pensioner

When you get to be an OAP, 14 years to recoup the outlay can seem a bit optimistic.
Harry Stottle wrote:

If the capital cost/output capability of a solar system means the payback is 14 years then it is either overpriced or the site is unsuitable. 8-10 years is typical payback period ignoring the ravages of inflation on your capital which makes it shorter still. Bob
On 06/06/2011 09:51, Bob Minchin wrote:

Opportunities like loan sharking and wheel clamping?
Another Dave