Smoke matches - boiler flue test

I've bought some smoke matches in order to test my flue before I call out an Corgi engineer for an annual service on my boiler. What's the method of using these? Should the boiler be ignited or not? Do I have to extinguish the pilot light? At the last service I observed white smoke from the roof vent when smoke matches were used but I cannot replicate this.
Terry D.

I have to ask WHY are you wanting to do this if an engineer is going to do the annual service? Or am I missing something?
John

That's simply to let everyone know a new Pope's been chosen.
--
Martin
[ remove barrier to reply ]
Martin wrote:

Very good. I hope that's an original.

an
extinguish
A smoke pellet should be used for a flue flow test. Smoke matches would usually only be used to pre test a flue before using a smoke pellet to test the flue. They don't produce enough smoke to do a proper test.
The boiler should not be running but the pilot can be on.