Replacing two old pin sockets

Page 2 of 2

david lang wrote:

Why do I always read that as Shocko ?
--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

They're not listed in Section 553 of BS 7671 and in any case they're not shuttered. Moreover it's a 16 A connector and you wouldn't want them on a lighting circuit any more than you'd want a 13 A socket - due to the risk of someone plugging in a high-power appliance.
You seem to have dismissed the eminently suitable BS 546 round-pin types simply because they're "old technology." Insulated copper wires are quite old technology too.
--
Andy

Do you mean Walsall gauge where all the pins are at right angles to a normal 13 amp?. The BBC used these for tech supplies.

Neutrik Powercon? A very good connector for industrial use, but not too pretty for the home.

I'm not sure what you find wrong with 2 or 5 amp round pin shuttered sockets?
--
*Some days you\'re the dog, some days the hydrant.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, MK have long done their own version of a non-standard 13 A plug & socket. They use a different shape earth pin - a T-shaped extrusion, rather than rectangular bar.
They are on the web site: http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid235&rangeid 37 for the plug, and http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemidF21&rangeid 30 for one example of a socket.
--
Andy

These are the Klik plugs and sockets I mentioned earlier. They are only a tiny bit bigger than 2A plugs, and sockets are available to fit in architrave or BESA boxes. They are locking, because you can mount them on a ceiling and hang a pendant from them without the plug pulling out.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

Just what I need, a 4 pin socket to connect a fan with a live plus switched live connection.
--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Why not do it properly and connect to the ring main?

It's difficult to see what the two halves of that sentence have to do with each other.
--
Andrew Gabriel

a.n.other wrote:

Read the question! It's a lighting circuit where all the sockets are controlled by one switch. How many ring mains are like that?
MBQ
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:29:41 GMT someone who may be "DavidM"

Just one more thought, to add to all the others. Socket outlets should be installed to avoid likely mechanical damage. That means placing them so that they are not liable to damage by vacuum cleaners. A little above the skirting board would fit the bill.
2A and 5A round pin socket outlets (and plugs) are available from suppliers and fit the bill nicely.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

A flush mounted even plastic socket will stand quite a whack without breaking. Surface mount [spit] is a different matter.
--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid