Replacing Shower Mixer Valve

I am planning a style change to my bathroom that involves replacing the taps and the shower mixer.
Taking that the gap between the entry pipes, hot and cold, is the same on the new unit is replacement just a matter of isolating supplies, detaching the existing unit and fitting the replacement or will I need to make holes in my walls to access the pipework.

It must make a difference what type of mixer you have. With mine, which is an Aqualiser, the pipework and connections to the mixer are behind the tiles, so replacement would not be that easy. But if yours has them in front and visible it should be a doddle.
Rob Graham