re failed dimmer switch

I fitted five 50watt 240VClick downlights in parallel in our lounge ceiling to replace wall lights. There was a two way switch at each entrance to the lounge so I kept the wiring intact but fitted a 400w Click dimmer switch one end. This dimmer started to flicker slightly after a short time then suddenly failed. Thinking it was faulty I took it back and exchanged it. The new dimmer has now started flickering. The guy at the shop said on the first visit that about 10% of dimmers he sells develop a fault. I'm wondering if I have been really unlucky or could there be another reason?
Any ideas?
thanks
AJ

Check the rating carefully. Most dimmers have different ratings for incandescent and for halogen bulbs, typically the latter is derated by about 2/3. So your 400W incandescent is probably only rated 150W or less on halogen - its all about inrush current.
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
thanks Woody, I have contacted Click, they said the 400w dimmers are all rated the same ie only one type for mains & 12v, they have asked me to send it to them for checking. I have another Click dimmer connected to 4x 12V 50W downlights and it's fine. maybe it's the wiring but I can't see how that could be, I'll post again when Click respond.
AJ