Pattress box stripping threads

Hi everyone,
I replaced a double socket in the kitchen because the old one had a faulty socket and the whole thing was a bit loose anyway.
When I took the old socket off I noticed that the screw threads had been completely strippped - God knows how the socket actually stayed on the wall. Got some new screws and tried to put the new socket in its place and hey presto - stripped threads.
The pattress box is behind a tiled wall and well and truly embedded in the plaster around it. In order to get it out to replace it I'd have to cut back the tiles around the edge too.
Is there anything I can do to the existing box or will I have to just bit the bullet and get the damn thing out?
Cheers,
--
Chris M.

Remove pants to email me.
Chris M wrote:

Buy an M3.5 tap and run it through the offending tapped holes, perhaps?
-- Sue

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Tools_Index/Taps_and_Threaders/index.html
Peter Andrews wrote:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Tools_Index/Taps_and_Threaders/index.html
Spot on! 3.5 mil is the one I need then?
I shall order one today. Thanks again!
--
Chris M.

Remove pants to email me.
Chris M wrote:

Yep. My local pound shop sells them for, yep 1 pound. Markets usually have them.
Sue
Palindrome wrote:

A little more reasonable than 6.30 + VAT! I'm in Liverpool this weekend, anyone know any good DIY emporiums in the city centre? ;-)
--
Chris M.

Remove pants to email me.

... and 7.49 at Screwfix! My previous post was meant to suggest a solution - not the cheapest supplier :-) But paying more is sometimes cost/time effective if it saves a trip elsewhere.
Peter
Peter Andrews wrote:

Oh I know, that wasn't meant to be a dig at your suggestion. Normally I would just pay the extra and have it delivered. As it happens I'm going to be wandering around a city centre this weekend anyway. With a little local knowledge I might be able to grab one at a discount.
--
Chris M.

Remove pants to email me.

You could try Rapid Hardware on Renshaw street. Or there is a poundland in St Johns shopping centre, as well as a Wilkinsons - there may also be able to help.
Chris M wrote:

There is a cheap and nasty solution which I have resorted to when caught out in the past. I simply rummaged in my box of sundry self-tappers until I found one of the right size. Job done. Cost of parts: nil, time taken: significant.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

As long as you take care, be aware that a self tapper will go straight through cable insulation, a normal M3.5 probably won't!
Peter
Peter Andrews wrote:

I've managed it with an M3.5, with impressive pyrotechnic results when the power was restored :D
(actually it didn't go straight through the insulation, the screw went past the side of the cable and gradually nibbled its way through to the core as it was screwed in. Still made for a panicked run to the fusebox though...)
--
Chris M.

Remove pants to email me.

Stick a nut in the appropriate place in the box, after drilling a clearance hole in the stripped portion.
Use epoxy adhesive (Araldite for instance) - Comet airliners were assembled using it.
Tuthledeen wrote:

You know, I think I'll do that instead (mainly cos I'll be able to do it tonight and not have to wait until the weekend!)
Cheers for that,
--
Chris M.

Remove pants to email me.